Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need some advice/direction

Hey everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first hammock. I plan on using it for a variety of situations. The problem I am having is that there are so many options. Here are all the factors going into my decision.

I am 5'9" 200lbs
    Needs to be light enough for UL backpacking (or close to it)
    I plan to use a DIY tarp and bug net
    I need to have 300+lbs weight capacity so i can share my seat.
    I'm not afraid of modding
    I wont be dealing with cold temps

With that said, I am leaning toward Eno for weight capacity and packability.
    My sights are on the Pronest for how light it is, but I am wondering what other options you all have chosen. I like the Doublenest since I plan on hanging with my gf, but I want to be light as possible in case I backpack with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bassheadjones View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am looking to purchase my first hammock. I plan on using it for a variety of situations. The problem I am having is that there are so many options. Here are all the factors going into my decision.

I am 5'9" 200lbs
    Needs to be light enough for UL backpacking (or close to it)
    I plan to use a DIY tarp and bug net
    I need to have 300+lbs weight capacity so i can share my seat.
    I'm not afraid of modding
    I wont be dealing with cold temps

With that said, I am leaning toward Eno for weight capacity and packability.
    My sights are on the Pronest for how light it is, but I am wondering what other options you all have chosen. I like the Doublenest since I plan on hanging with my gf, but I want to be light as possible in case I backpack with it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Have you tried hanging with your GF yet? If not, I'd suggest trying it first. Most find that while it's fun for short naps or lounging, it doesn't work to share one overnight.

If you end up not sharing and want to make your own net, I'd recommend a BIAS Weight Weenie Micro. Very light, relatively inexpensive, high enough quality and should hold your 200lbs.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hi Breyman,
    Thanks for responding. I haven't hung with her yet as I don't have a hammock yet, but I want the option. I know for sure that I will use it as a lounger for car camping or on day hikes and that is the only time I will have more than just me in it. I have no intention of sleeping in it with someone.
    If it is light enough though, I will try it out on my next backpacking trip.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Hi Breyman,
    Thanks for responding. I haven't hung with her yet as I don't have a hammock yet, but I want the option. I know for sure that I will use it as a lounger for car camping or on day hikes and that is the only time I will have more than just me in it. I have no intention of sleeping in it with someone.
    If it is light enough though, I will try it out on my next backpacking trip.
    Gotcha.

If that's the case, you should consider getting two different ones. Something that's strong enough for two, is not going to be nearly as light and vice versa.

Both the Eno Doublenest and the BIAS weight weenie micro (WWM) are relatively inexpensive. I'd do both. Use the Eno when lounging together, you use the WWM when backpacking (it's both a good bit lighter and more packable than the Eno) and you both have your own when car camping.
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Thank you again,
    So if I end up doing that, based on what I have set as requirements would you recommend the Eno first? This way I can get the feel of hanging around a campsite, before I tear off into the back country?

Do you know of any others that are lightweight, but have a good weight capacity?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Buying from one of our cottage vendors minimizes your risk of loss should you want to get something different or just bail. The resale value on newer gear is good and it tends to sell quickly. You may want to check the classifieds to see what's available and place a Want to Buy ad in the WTB section.
    These vendors make quality gear and their warranties are golden.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thank you again,
    So if I end up doing that, based on what I have set as requirements would you recommend the Eno first? This way I can get the feel of hanging around a campsite, before I tear off into the back country?

Do you know of any others that are lightweight, but have a good weight capacity?
    Boy, that's a tough question. The Eno will fit you both, but the WWM is more comfortable for one in my opinion. If it's just for lounging for a couple, the Eno first should be good. If you want to sleep in it much at all, I'd go with the WWM first.

I don't know of many others that have a super high capacity to weight ratio. Most use ripstop nylon. While many have different designs/features, most rely on the same basic fabric and requirements given that fabric. As a note, the following link has some good info on various capacities for various ripstop nylon weights.
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Since you want to try it out, you might get away with just making one yourself. It might also be cheaper. Since you're in L.A., if you have time, check out Michael Levine Fabrics in DTLA, you can easily get 1.1 or 1.9 ripstop for less than $5 a yard - all you need is 3.5 yards to make your first hammock.

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Okay, so I'm going to ask you to revisit one aspect of your requirements. "Ultra light". Unless you're built like a fullback, you're carrying more extra "you" on your frame than you can possibly save by going with ultra light gear as opposed to simple run o the mill lightweight quality hanging gear. This isn't to say that you shouldn't get ultralight gear, simply that there are much less expensive ways to save 2 lbs. Of course, if you're planning on hiking the AT or PCT all in one go, then the UL gear will make sense, simply because by the time you're 1/2 way through, you'll be a lean, mean, hiking machine.

Kindly don't take offense, and no, I'm no emaciated adventure racer. I speak from experience, because I can easily afford to lose more weight than my loaded backpack weighs.

(If the technology of UL gear appeals to you, if it strikes you as "fascinating", then disregard the above. "Fascinating appeal" can be it's own justification. )

I am not too much bigger than I should be. I am naturally heavy for my size. I'm also not quite 200, but I like a buffer to be safe. Even if I got to my ideal weight of 170, I'd still want less weight in my pack.

I decided on a doublenest cause I had an rei dividend and they had the one I wanted in stock. I'm going to try it out on some easy overnights and if I am loving it I'll probably get an ultralight.

Thank you for all the help.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast