Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That's so cool bent. Thanks for posting the pics.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Wow, that's a lot of family in a small space! (Better than a long car trip, I'm sure.)

Cool setup you've got there! Now I'm curious if my no-ring setup is lighter or not. No metal on my hammock, but however many extra feet of strap to tie around the tree. Hmm... you've got me thinking!
    www.Adventure-Some.com
    More Adventure in Your Daily Life

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    What a great setup! Good to see examples we can learn from. Can't wait to try our challenge of 6 under one! Of course, the youngest gets his own hammock as soon as he knows how to fall out of one!

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Nice job on that fly. It looks great!

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    I love this family photo, and the bar idea. Is the bar a section of dowel? Is the bar secured to the webbing other than being a tight fit into the webbing loop?

the hammocks were a clearance item from hammocks.com. Got all five for $16 each. That was cheaper than I could buy the fabric. The ends are a hem that allows the suspension rope to pass thru.

Awesome Thorwren. Just a note..Heaviest at bottom, lightest at top and stack so that the higher hammocks 'fall into' hammock beneath. We did this on a day when the high was 45 F. Me and the wife had a 24"X60" CCF and +20F sleeping bags. Had to have the bags open because it got too warm. The kids didn't have anything and SAID THEY WERE WARM!!! The way we had it arranged had two up high and the third in the middle but lower. End-on it looked like dots on the 5-side of a die. The center kid was fully surrounded by warm bodies. The two up high were dropped into me and the wifes hammocks. Took a bit of adjusting to get it to where they were in our hammocks but not on top of us. Keep in mind...we have no claustrophobia.

Yes, the bar is a 3" section of 3/8" aluminum rod purchased at home depot. I sanded the ends to make them smooth after performing a rather nasty cut with an old hack saw blade. I was too cheap to go buy a new blade. I started out making them with a small hole drilled in the center and passing string thru but after breaking my second 3/32" drill bit, I started just making sure they were sewn in extra tight. As the strapping stretches I'm sure they'll start to slip out. I don't think they will slip while under tension; just when taken down. I made an extra in case we lose one on the trail.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    the hammocks were a clearance item from hammocks.com. Got all five for $16 each. That was cheaper than I could buy the fabric. The ends are a hem that allows the suspension rope to pass thru.

Awesome Thorwren. Just a note..Heaviest at bottom, lightest at top and stack so that the higher hammocks 'fall into' hammock beneath. We did this on a day when the high was 45 F. Me and the wife had a 24"X60" CCF and +20F sleeping bags. Had to have the bags open because it got too warm. The kids didn't have anything and SAID THEY WERE WARM!!! The way we had it arranged had two up high and the third in the middle but lower. End-on it looked like dots on the 5-side of a die. The center kid was fully surrounded by warm bodies. The two up high were dropped into me and the wifes hammocks. Took a bit of adjusting to get it to where they were in our hammocks but not on top of us. Keep in mind...we have no claustrophobia.

Yes, the bar is a 3" section of 3/8" aluminum rod purchased at home depot. I sanded the ends to make them smooth after performing a rather nasty cut with an old hack saw blade. I was too cheap to go buy a new blade. I started out making them with a small hole drilled in the center and passing string thru but after breaking my second 3/32" drill bit, I started just making sure they were sewn in extra tight. As the strapping stretches I'm sure they'll start to slip out. I don't think they will slip while under tension; just when taken down. I made an extra in case we lose one on the trail.
    That's a super cool family hang ya got going on. Using your wasted heat to keep them warm....awesome!
    I bought 4 of those hammocks from hammocks.com. I gave a few away and keep one for a backup/loaner. The comfort of these is unbeatable for the price. I sleep in one every night now.
    I like the bar idea you have. I was going to have a machinist friend of mine making some up for me but I might try using bamboo. I hanging my tarp off of my suspension with toggles.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12