DangerBird 72, WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

GSMNP Little River to CS21

We made plans to hike Little River Trail in the Smoky Mountains. It was an easy 3-mile in to the campsite. 80% of the trail up to the Huskey Gap Trail was a gravel road bed which didn't make it challenging but it was a beautiful hike. Once we reached Huskey Gap Tr which took us to the campsite it turned to a normal hiking trail. We traveled up that trail another .3 mile to the campsite. The only challenging part of the hike was that section on Huskey Gap. CS21 is a nice open site though it was better for our hammocks than tents since it's for the most part on a grade down towards the river. We did have one nice spot for our 1 tent while the rest of us were in the trees. We never saw a bear nor snakes but we did have 3 deer walk right through our site which surprised us since we were in the wilderness. I'd have thought from my hunting days they would have been extremely weary of us but they weren't. We did get to see quite a show from the synchronous fireflies though they did not synchronize for us. The males did suddenly emerge from the ground and begin to fly within 3-5 feet of the ground. They were different from what we're used to here in Ga because they lit up and stayed illuminated for 20 seconds or more as they flew around. Ours mainly flash. The females that we did see in the trees did flash but there weren't nearly as many of them and they never did anything more than random flash while we were up. The males at the ground were quite the show though since there were so many of them lit up for so long. We had great weather though it was a few degrees cooler than we anticipated so we were glad we brought underquilts. We had a quick walk back on Tuesday making it in an hour and 10 minutes. The girls had chosen Zaxby's as their initiative so they traveled pretty fast.
    It was a great trip and we look forward to returning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Looks like you all had a nice trip. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I have a love / hate relationship with the LRT, love the views of the river, hate walking on gravel.

I will have to stop at #21 next time I'm down there, that looks like a very nice place! Thanks for the report!

Next time there, IF you can, drop a fishing line in the little river, some seriously nice trout reside there! DO have a license though! The 8 (or so) times I've hiked the LRT, I've seen rangers on it about 1/2 of the time.

Also, IF you want a more trail like hike: go up Jake"s creek, In about 500' go Left on cucumber trail, Right on LRT (about 300') & Left on Husky.

FYI: I saw a bear's footprint filling with water (15 seconds worth!) at the summit on Cucumber. I didn't see the bear, but I'm sure it saw me! &
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts