WBBB 1.1 DL,WBBB XLC 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    HG Incubator!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Stack-able under-quilt/ convertible TQ/UQ

I have an idea for a three quilt 4 season system and was wondering if anyone has tried this yet.
    What I would like to do is buy or make a light weight TQ/UQ combo for warmer weather.
    But I would like the ability to convert the TQ to a UQ and add it to the other UQ "stacking" them to be used with a heaver top quilt essentially creating a system of three quilts that can be used in a wide range of temps.

Living in Alabama I would very rarely see temps that get into the teens so I'm thinking a 20deg TQ and the combo would be 2 40 deg quilts.

Does anyone see any flaws in this system?
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything; They just make the best of everything.

The richest person is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least. (unkown)

and of course There are A LOT of chickens in China.
    NPR correspondent-- Hong Kong

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Three possible issues: weight, compression of the insulation, and difficulty of design for a convertible quilt.

Let's look at weight first. You're going to be paying the weight penalty for an additional quilt shell and suspension (or you'll have to figure out some way to suspend it from the other underquilt). This isn't an whole lot of weight, but it most certainly exists.

Compression of insulation would be the second hurdle. If you pull your bottom underquilt too tightly, it will compress the insulation in the top underquilt. This negates much of the benefit of having the two quilts. On the other hand, if you don't have a good seal between the two, you're going to have drafts. So the attachment method of the second quilt is going to be crucial.

Finally, having a quilt that converts from a top quilt to an underquilt is going to require a little extra engineering. It'll need to fit both your body and the other underquilt. This may be difficult to achieve.

Now, I'm not saying that these are insurmountable issues; I'm actually in the midst of prototyping for my own modular system. But, they're problems that definitely do exist and need to be solved in order to have something like this work.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ
    not sure if this would work or not.
    regular used top quilt
    silk or preferred material with sewn footbox with or without sewn add-on of micro fleece "cheap blanket" added to it.
    if it was a dbl lair hammock 1/8 to 1/4 thick pad between layers of hammock or just under your body for for single layer hammock
    underquilt followed by a silnylon cover or Gore-Tex like material as a wind block/rain cover/maybe even xtra lg pancho to cover underquilt without compressing UQ

in my minds eye "whatever that mean's lol" I think would be a super crazy warm system fairly cheap to make and effective

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    FLRider is right - it's possible, but difficult. I also am working on such a system. In fact, I made significant advances recently, so stay tuned (but don't hold your breath; I'm not going to rush it.) FLR, I'm glad you're working on this. Let's compare notes when we have workable systems to show.

CLANKBANG and Cursnfurs, I'm glad you're interested, too. Experiment, but be aware that the DIY bug can be time-consuming and costly. (It's also fun.) Multiple viewpoints can generate more innovative ideas than one person toiling in isolation. Balance that thought with the immortal words of boat-builder Harold "Dynamite" Payson: "Don't use your own head if you can use somebody else's."

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    FLRider is right - it's possible, but difficult. I also am working on such a system. In fact, I made significant advances recently, so stay tuned (but don't hold your breath; I'm not going to rush it.) FLR, I'm glad you're working on this. Let's compare notes when we have workable systems to show.

CLANKBANG and Cursnfurs, I'm glad you're interested, too. Experiment, but be aware that the DIY bug can be time-consuming and costly. (It's also fun.) Multiple viewpoints can generate more innovative ideas than one person toiling in isolation. Balance that thought with the immortal words of boat-builder Harold "Dynamite" Payson: "Don't use your own head if you can use somebody else's."
    Will Do, WV. Glad to hear you're making progress; I'm still at the "need to order more materials" stage. So, less progress here than I'd like...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Taking a topquilt and converting it into an underquilt is doable, Jacksrbetter has such quilts. As for the layering, I don't see the advantage in carrying extra weight and bulk. Couldn't you just vent an underquilt if it gets too warm? I usually take an underquilt that is rated below what I am expecting the temperature to get to. That way, I won't be cold, and I can adjust the venting so I won't be hot.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    This is something I have thought about but never could get past the weight penalties. I have found that UQ's are stackable but the suspension designs used by most vendors does not allow enough adjustment. Most UQ suspensions are designed to pull tightly against hammock without the adjustment room to drop UQ low enough to keep from compressing the first UQ. A simple solution is to address the UQ suspension. I have used UQ's stacked with success with the proper suspension. The con is having all the suspension cords for 2 quilts.

I have worked on an idea for a stackable solution that eliminates the suspension from the second UQ but you still have a lot of extra material that makes the combo much heavier than a single quilt with the same amount of loft.

Looking forward to seeing WV and FLRider's version of this. For some reason this concept has always intrigued me with lots of sketched out ideas on pads. I am sure some of you can relate.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ
    the thoughts on my layering system "yet to try out". Totally agree with the added weight and the added bulk added to your pack. But with a family of 5 buying those nice pieces of gear for the whole family is just "add your own word". Yes do watch for used gear for sale on multiple sites but this also adds up quickly. lol also the faster I can pull them from the games, computers, ipods the happier I am.

My dream 1 day will be for the big name brand gears to also think about the blue collar working family. lol or atleast till my sewing skills improve. it's the memories of being with family and friends that even outlast the toughest of gear

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Stacking works for sure. I do it in the deep winter here in Minnesota. In this picture I have my friend Timmy's undercarriage warmed with a JRB Hudson River (20º TQ/UQ) and my FrankenQuilt (30º) over that. Down jacket around the footbox. Weather on this hang was minus 1ºF.
    Carry forth......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    What if you used a setup to use one suspension with the option of quilt, quilt B, or both A and B? What I envision is making the edge channel out of grosgrain segments instead of a single or sewn channel. The lower of the stacked quilts would be cut larger to stack well and the segments would alternate so if you stack them you would in essence stitch the two channels together. You would cut most of the weight penalties just two layers of fabric and a few feet of grosgrain. As far as top quilts just make one larger and match foot boxes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast