Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Images

First Sipsey Hangout rousing success!

It was quite a nice adventure with a bunch of great guys (8 guys overnight plus one day hiker- no gals came along this time). There was no car camping, this involved quite a bit of bushwhacking and fairly tricky stream crossings. More than one of us fell more than once. We had to change plans on Saturday,as the creeks were so swollen from the torrential rains that came through on Friday and were too much trouble to cross. Angrysparrow and Hetori (sp?) were there for that, as well as Mrprez, who tried to find themj but couldn't, so he spent the night by his lonesome beside Borden Creek.

Any way, great trip: roaring water falls, a vigorous hike, a hammock hang at the foot of two small waterfalls, and of course the grand finale: SNOW! In AL! Who would a thunk it?

That's it for now, I'm exhausted and have to get ready for church tonight. It's not over yet anyway, as AS and Hetori and maybe someone else are still out there until tomorrow! Many better pics to come- my camera battery couldn't handle the cold.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    WOW!!! Thanks Bill! I've been wondering about you guys, especial y w/ the storm reports from down that way.
    Looking forward to hearing more.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    BillyBob, boy do I hate myself for being such a wimp. Sure wish that I had gone now. What was it that Mark Twain said? "The only things that we regret in life are the things we didn't do."

Glad the trip was a success. See ya next time.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    What a gorgeous place!!!! Great pictures. Glad you all had a good time. Where is this place?
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    The "day hiker" had fun, and really enjoyed putting faces with names...

Long story short.. made it to the airport at 5:30 am, left the airport at 1:50 pm, no de-icing chemicals, killing 3 hours in the Denver airport... bummer

Doing Sipsey again in 2 weeks?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Looks like ya'll had a great time.... nice photos.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

I just got back a little while ago, 5 hr trip for me. I wasn't gonna go due to the rain, but when I saw the snow forecast, I knew I had to go! It was a frog strangling rain on Friday nite, I cooked up a dozen or so with breakfast along with my VENISON BACON (not, lol). I'll post my pics later along with a video I shot of us walking out.

It was a great time and I can't wait to go back. 13 years in AL and I had no idea a place like this existed in AL!

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    What a GREAT HANG!!! It just doesn't get much better than this in Bama.Sipsey is called the land of 1000 waterfalls and it lived up to its billing this weekend. For some, their first trip to Sipsey will be one they will always remember.
    Everyone met up at Borden Trailhead around 9am on Saturday and we headed down Borden Creek to where Clifty and Braziel join Borden. After a mile or so in, we had to cross a unnamed feeder creek but can't cross because the water is to high. We drop our packs and do a side trip up the canyon to a unnamed waterfall that Ihangnbankhead nows about. After discussing our options we decide to walk back down Borden to Fall Creek Falls and find a place to hang.
    Waterfalls,Hemlock trees,box canyons,and spectacular scenery was enjoyed by all on the hike to Fall Creek Falls where we planned to camp. After eating a late lunch and setting up camp, Ihangnbankhead lead us on a hike to his wife's great great great grandmothers old homeplace and gravesite. I have walked by this area many many times and never knew this even existed.
    We were very fortunate indeed to have him along as he gave us a firsthand account on the history of the area. After supper and believe it or not, a great fire considering that 4 to 6 inches of rain had just fell everyone was ready for some well deserved rest.
    Sunday morning we woke up in a winter wonderland. Talk about a perfect way to end a hangout It never snows in Alabama. I hope the pictures that everyone took really turn out good. We walked back down to the falls and just enjoyed the natural beauty of the area not wanting to leave.
    After breakfeast and breaking camp we headed back to the trailhead taking our time enjoying the beauty of the snow. Our last stop was to a old moonshine still that Ihangnbankhead knew about on the way out.
    A good time was had by all!!!!!

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images

Thumbs up Thanks for Sharing

Great trip report for a great trip! It must have been magical waking up to the snow. That is a beautiful area and reminded me of areas near where I grew up in Georgia. It looked nice to have the overhang to gather under out of the snow. And it's always nice to put faces with names and online personalities.

I just talked to my brother in Georgia about the snow. I am in NJ, it just started snowing lightly but it's coming.. a foot or more. I'd be hanging in the backyard tonight but we live on a county road and the plows are LOUD and they're already out salting. When they put the blades down, it will be just tolerable inside but intolerable outside.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    The "day hiker" had fun, and really enjoyed putting faces with names...

Long story short.. made it to the airport at 5:30 am, left the airport at 1:50 pm, no de-icing chemicals, killing 3 hours in the Denver airport... bummer

Doing Sipsey again in 2 weeks?
    Hey there, Tight-wad, it was good to meet you, and good to hear you safely made your flight, bad to hear about the delays from no de-icing. I'm sure that sucked pretty bad. You would have enjoyed the snow better with us, I think! Those were nice little water falls we hiked to Sat AM, but you would not believe Fall Creek Falls, swollen with all of that rain fall. But it was a real challenge to stay on our feet, due to the mud on the steeper parts of the trail, especially at multiple creek crossings. Some of us ended up quite muddy!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast