Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

Welcome from the Bay Area

Use the right tool for the job. If you will be in situations that call for a tent (there are a few) then use one. I see you are in Los Gatos, ca. If you are going just about anywhere within a half a days drive and stay below 10,000 feet you will be just fine in a hammock. Even in winter hammocks work fine.

Do I ever use a tent? I suppose I do but I guess it's how you define tent. I can pitch my trap like a tent and sleep on the ground. I can pitch my tent like a tarp and sleep in my hammock. To me it's all about versatility and what gives me the options I want for any given trip. Sometime in deep winter I like bringing a hot tent so I can socialize with my group because it gets dark so early. Also the tent serves as a back up should anyone in my group get blown out by a storm or not have the right setup for the cold night.

I suggest you get comfortable with your hammock setup close to home before you venture too deep in the back country. Oh and I would pass on the rain retention trap, I doubt you will ever use that feature.

S

Backcountry Hammock vs Tent and First Hammock Advice

Tagged for interest.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakAes View Post
    Hey, thanks for the replies guys! And I appreciate the welcome.

So Warbonnet is the top brand here huh? The Dream Hammocks site seems down, at least right now.

Honestly, I haven't done any backcountry camping yet, but I'd like to at some point. Next weekend I'll be going up to Tahoe with a friend. We'll be using the big Kodiak Canvas tent (10'x14'). After that I'll be doing a paramotoring course, and I'll be using the tent for that too. However, I started looking into lightweight gear for other purposes. I'm even thinking about paramotor camping! So I'd need it for that.

The hammocks seem cool. So in terms of lightweight sleeping gear, it basically comes down to hammocks vs tents right? My sense is that it does seem hammocks are better. Breyman, the only con "really" seems to be when there are no trees, based on what you're saying.

I do have a question about side sleeping though. Is that possible with a hammock? That's the only way I can sleep, in a bed at least.
    Sorry for the wrong Dream Hammocks link - I inadvertently added an s at the end. It should be www.dream-hammock.com

I'd say a lack of trees in some situations is the main con, although with some good planning that can be minimized. As mentioned, other, smaller considerations are cost (doesn't have to be super expensive, but a nice full setup can be a bit pricey) and the fact that a very small percentage have trouble getting comfy.

Yes, side sleeping is very possible. I side sleep 1/2 - 2/3 of the night in my hammocks and do just fine. As mentioned, the bridge hammock (hammock with bars at each end, like the Warbonnet Ridgerunner) has the most "bed like" laying position and are very comfortable. The main downside to those is that the spreader bars take up more room so a larger tarp is usually needed - and they weight just a tad more.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Sorry for the wrong Dream Hammocks link - I inadvertently added an s at the end. It should be www.dream-hammock.com

I'd say a lack of trees in some situations is the main con, although with some good planning that can be minimized. As mentioned, other, smaller considerations are cost (doesn't have to be super expensive, but a nice full setup can be a bit pricey) and the fact that a very small percentage have trouble getting comfy.

Yes, side sleeping is very possible. I side sleep 1/2 - 2/3 of the night in my hammocks and do just fine. As mentioned, the bridge hammock (hammock with bars at each end, like the Warbonnet Ridgerunner) has the most "bed like" laying position and are very comfortable. The main downside to those is that the spreader bars take up more room so a larger tarp is usually needed - and they weight just a tad more.
    No worries, thanks for the updated link.

I'm not too worried about the cost. From what I've seen it looks affordable. If I can keep it below $500, that would be nice though.

I sleep maybe halfway between sleeping on my side, and sleeping on my stomach. In a bed I have to put my arm up between the pillow and under my head, and lean on a body pillow. Would that be possible with the Ridge Runner? It says it sleeps people up to 6' 6". I'm 5' 10", but I think if I had my arm up that would be longer. Maybe it would work lying diagonally, I'm not sure.

By contrast Kammok says theirs is 10 feet long. I may want a bridge hammock, but is weight the only reason to not get the Kammok? I keep reading reviews that say it's the most comfortable hammock.

I think I might get a hammock from REI to test while on the Tahoe trip, and see if I like it. I'm actually in the market for a new bed too, and I read that several people here sleep in hammocks every day! The problem I have is that I can only sleep in the position I described above, but my clavicle can hurt after awhile, and my arm goes to sleep. Would a hammock alleviate this problem? If I can sleep in the same position with no pain, then that would be amazing! It would save me several thousand dollars too!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hey, thanks for the replies guys! And I appreciate the welcome.

So Warbonnet is the top brand here huh?
    Warbonnet gets lots of love here, but Hennessy is another brand you should check out that wasn't mentioned. They have a great range of hammocks in various sizes and weights. Single layer bottom, double layer bottom, bottom entry or side entry, big and not so big. Several insulation options as well. They ship fast or, if you're so inclined, you can pick one up at your local REI. It's a Canadian company. The hammocks are sewn together in China and the quality is top notch IMO.

Having said all that, the cottage vendors you'll find here have some excellent products and you'll be able to get exactly what you need to get your rig dialed in.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    No worries, thanks for the updated link.

I'm not too worried about the cost. From what I've seen it looks affordable. If I can keep it below $500, that would be nice though.

I sleep maybe halfway between sleeping on my side, and sleeping on my stomach. In a bed I have to put my arm up between the pillow and under my head, and lean on a body pillow. Would that be possible with the Ridge Runner? It says it sleeps people up to 6' 6". I'm 5' 10", but I think if I had my arm up that would be longer. Maybe it would work lying diagonally, I'm not sure.

By contrast Kammok says theirs is 10 feet long. I may want a bridge hammock, but is weight the only reason to not get the Kammok? I keep reading reviews that say it's the most comfortable hammock.

I think I might get a hammock from REI to test while on the Tahoe trip, and see if I like it. I'm actually in the market for a new bed too, and I read that several people here sleep in hammocks every day! The problem I have is that I can only sleep in the position I described above, but my clavicle can hurt after awhile, and my arm goes to sleep. Would a hammock alleviate this problem? If I can sleep in the same position with no pain, then that would be amazing! It would save me several thousand dollars too!!!!!!!
    Getting one from REI to try out is a good thought.

Not sure which reviews you're reading, but while Kammock's are nice, I definitely wouldn't classify them as more comfortable than some of the other options.

The Ridgerunner would easily let you lay partial side/stomach. One of the great things about hammocks is that with the way they cradle you, you can lay at just about any angle and be held their comfortably. The only slightly tricky part will be sticking out your arm. Definitely doable but it'll just be pushed up in the air a bit by the curvature of the hammock. That'll be the case with pretty much any hammock, though.

The two common drawbacks of a bridge hammock is the slight weight increase (maybe half a pound) and the need for a slightly bigger tarp because the spreader bars take up more room.

Another nice thing about Warbonnet is that they have a return policy (6 weeks, I think). If you try it and don't like it you can return and only be out the cost of shipping.

If it were me with your budget, I'd get a Ridgerunner, Cloudburst Tarp (built to go with the ridgerunner) and the Lynx Underquilt (also made for the Ridgerunner - it's the underquilt that goes on the bottom), all from Warbonnet, and then use your sleeping bag dropped over top of you and tucked in around the edges like a blanket/top quilt. This would push you just past your budget, but would be well worth it.

Certainly LOTS of other choices out there and it's worth some additional research if you buy, but my favorite hammock setup is the RR/Cloudburst/Lynx.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Let's say that Kammock is better at astroturfing than the rest of the folks. It seems that cottage vendors get an idea and make one. Kammock gets and idea and tries to raise money on kickstarter to have a container load made. It does make a difference.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    Warbonnet gets lots of love here, but Hennessy is another brand you should check out that wasn't mentioned. They have a great range of hammocks in various sizes and weights. Single layer bottom, double layer bottom, bottom entry or side entry, big and not so big. Several insulation options as well. They ship fast or, if you're so inclined, you can pick one up at your local REI. It's a Canadian company. The hammocks are sewn together in China and the quality is top notch IMO.

Having said all that, the cottage vendors you'll find here have some excellent products and you'll be able to get exactly what you need to get your rig dialed in.
    Should also add in that Hennessys are a little more affordable than other brands. You get a hammock, tarp, and suspension all in one set up; if you're building a kit on a budget, this is definitely one way to go.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR

Re: Backcountry Hammock vs Tent and First Hammock Advice

If you or someone you know can use a sewing machine, you can make the hammock, mosquito net and tarp for under 100$. If you have more money than time, the Warbonnet systems sounds great.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    diy whoopie slings
    I still consider consider myself pretty much a newb, and I've only ever slept in a DIY gathered end hammock, but I have found it to be extremely comfortable - I was an instant convert. After I went to my first hang I quickly went and ordered a proper tarp and underquilt.

The thought of doing a DIY hammock is part of what got me interested in the first place, as it was a pretty low obstacle to getting started - I ordered some silnylon and straps for the hammock, and I just used a cheap tarp/groundcloth from REI to start, and I was pretty well set to go.

Be careful though - as many on here will attest, once the DIY bug hits you'll find yourself in for much more than you intended . I just made a new hammock, a few inches longer than I was using, with the Knotty side-stretch mod (pics hopefully coming soon).

Here are Knotty's instructions:

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast