Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

Tensile strength of HH Exped Asym ridgeline?

Like the title asks, what is the tensile strength of the HH Exped Asym ridgeline? I see from the HH website that the weight limit of the hammock is 250lbs and that the poly suspension rope is 1600lb test.

What about the ridgeline itself?

Images
    well, if you knew what it was made of you could compare it to similar sized lines of the same materil to get a good idea.

It's not very thick, and there have been reports of it snapping when it has been seriously stressed. You are not really supposed to tighten it very much, it's just for getting the netting out of your face and hanging light stuff.

ISTR it's around 2 mm thick, so if it's a normal nylon rope, it won't support much more than a hundred pounds.

Further edit: it's probably not nylon but Spectra, which would make it break at 720 pounds.
    Last edited by Teemu Kalvas; 03-02-2009 at 07:05. Reason: added numbers

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you look through the archives you will find cases where they have snapped. The causes seem to be either they were strung real tight or the occupant used them as a haul line to move around in the hammock. I have the explorer ultralight but my ridgeline is looser when the hammock is loaded that when it is strung. There should be no problem with the strnegth of the ridgeline as long as you hang properly.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Like the title asks, what is the tensile strength of the HH Exped Asym ridgeline? I see from the HH website that the weight limit of the hammock is 250lbs and that the poly suspension rope is 1600lb test.

Don't know the answer but my guess would be around half what the suspension rope is. Under normal use it won't get as much tension as the suspension ropes. Some folks have broken them when they put their full weight on the ridgeline when the hammock was tightly hung to stretch the suspension, which will put the same tension on the ridgeline.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images

Ridge Line

Quote Originally Posted by Teemu Kalvas View Post
    It's not very thick, and there have been reports of it snapping when it has been seriously stressed. You are not really supposed to tighten it very much, it's just for getting the netting out of your face and hanging light stuff.
    It is for more than that. The ridge line on the HH is structural, meaning it bears the weight of setting the sag of your hammock body. Not as much weight as the suspension takes, but it is significant. Do not use it to pull yourself around in the hammock, but it is a pretty rugged little line. I think Teemu Kalvas has it right though, around 700lbs.

I've used 550 Paracord on home made hammocks with no problems, as well as 3mm accessory cord - but I weight in at 155lbs.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Thanks everyone. If it's anywhere near 700lbs...I don't have a thing to worry about.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images

dont know the actual weight but i popped mine(HH backpacker) when i was converting to a ringbuckle set up. ripped the netting also as the plastic hooks came flying at me. I was not in the hammock but using it as a chair. I sense retied with the leftover cord I cut off the guylines. havent had anymore issues.

Im sure it was my fault as I was pushing and straining it. I didnt want to bust my butt laying in it when i was first testing the ring buckle set up. I weigh 190lbs and was exerting 250lbs i guess bouncing a little while using as a chair. Those plastic hooks hurt when and if it snaps. New warning sticker: wear eye protecting when being a dumbass and exerting too much force in hammock testing tensile strength.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    LOL!

I'm posting from inside the HH right now via my Crackberry. The ridgeline is fairly tight.
    Guess I'll just use the hammock and not worry about it until it happens...if or when it ever does.

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    LOL!

I'm posting from inside the HH right now via my Crackberry. The ridgeline is fairly tight.
    Guess I'll just use the hammock and not worry about it until it happens...if or when it ever does.

dont sleep to long. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast