Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11
    Insulation
    Snugfit

Just recieved my Speer

I picked up my Speer III and Snugfit this Fri. I have been playing with it all weekend. It seems very warm but then again its just not that cold down here. I will be on Springer a week from Monday for a section hike to Neel's Gap.

My gear right now: (Already thinking about a Warbonnet...Jeeez)
    Speer III
    Snugfit
    Jacks No Sniveler
    Jacks 10 by 11 tarp
    Balaclava and Beanie
    Long Johns

Any advice on warmth (will I be warm enough) is appreciated. I have hiked in cold weather before so have the clothing dialed in. Just have not hung in cold weather before.

Thanks
    Ken
    Last edited by Blue Caboose; 03-02-2009 at 01:30.

Hi BlueGoose, welcome to the forums. Glad to see another hanger from LA (lower Alabama)! You should be warm enough, but only you would be able to say for sure. Some people sleep warmer than others. You'd just have to get out in the cold and try it for sure. Site selection plays a big part of the equation as well as how you set up your tarp. When it is really cold, I peg mine to the ground and close the ends. Try to find a place out of the wind and set up your tarp perpendicular to any wind that is there. My record is 11* up at Mt. Rogers. I used a HH, Speer PeaPod, Speer Winter Tarp and a Campmor down bag. Warm as I needed to be. I pegged the tarp to the ground and piled snow up around the gaps in the bottom of the tarp. You could achieve the same effect using leaves or ground litter. Anthing to keep that wind from robbing you of bottom heat.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Caboose View Post
    I picked up my Speer III and Snugfit this Fri. I have been playing with it all weekend. It seems very warm but then again its just not that cold down here. I will be on Springer a week from Monday for a section hike to Neel's Gap.

My gear right now: (Already thinking about a Warbonnet...Jeeez)
    Speer III
    Snugfit
    Jacks No Sniveler
    Jacks 10 by 11 tarp
    Balaclava and Beanie
    Long Johns

Any advice on warmth (will I be warm enough) is appreciated. I have hiked in cold weather before so have the clothing dialed in. Just have not hung in cold weather before.

Thanks
    Ken
    Keep an eye out for the weather conditions. You don't want to get caught out there in a storm like the one that just past through. Thirty is my low for the SnugFit unless I supplement it in some way. Clothes, pads, a vapor barrier, etc can extend that when necessary.

It is hard to tell sometimes whether you will have enough to keep warm or too much to not overheat until you get there. Little Weasel and I hiked the Georgia AT last fall in kind of/sort of drought conditions. I carried enough for pretty cold conditions, longer than normal stretches without water, and a water filter (I don't usually carry one in north Georgia myself). With all the food we needed I had to take my heavier backpack. Turned out we didn't need all the extras, it didn't even get cool, the problem was not overheating with winter sleeping bags. We would have been fine packing for 40ish degree weather instead of 20ish (I took a plastic sheet for a vapor barrier to put between my hammock and underquilt to extend its low range if needed.) and not packing for low water... but you never know and if you guess wrong?
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the answers. I pack a space blanket. That will work for a vapor barrier won't it? I also have synthetic long underwear a waffle nit long sleeve kind of fleece shirt with socks and balaclava to sleep in.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Caboose View Post
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the answers. I pack a space blanket. That will work for a vapor barrier won't it?
    Yes, it will work fine, you just have to keep it in place.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That seems like a pretty good set-up to me. I love my SnugFit and I think it is very conservatively rated at 30F. Granted I'm a warmer sleeper than most, but my girlfriend is not! She has been in the teens with just a SnugFit under her. She was using a winter quilt on top, but she stayed warm (enough) with just the SF below. Knowing how to pick your site and letting your tarp do a lot of the work helps.

BTW Youngblood, the SWT looks nice. I've been playing with it all week; nice work.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts