Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I just love the sounds of the forest - reminds me of camping with my mom, and all sorts of great childhood memories. Every night in the woods is a trip down memory lane.

My oldest son, on the other hand, can't tolerate the noise and also can't tell a loon from a coyote. He absolutely sucks at identifying wildlife noises so he thinks everything is a predator.

My youngest son is totally oblivious to the noise of the forest - he likes to sleep with the TV on so it's just like home to him. He's the type to sleep through a bear attack.

I have limited eyesight and rely more on sound than vision. I have always been able to hear snakes before I see them. The sound of them slithering through leaves and brush is just imprinted on my mind. I guess it's a product of growing up in south Alabama where there are a lot of snakes. On Boy Scout hikes, the boys thought I was some kind of snake whisperer because I could regularly find four or five snakes in a couple of hours.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images

Re: Anyone else think it's noisy in the woods?

I'm with SilvrSurfr! I love all the noises, when it's dead quiet I find the woods seem a little eerie.

When my head touches the hammock I'm out like a light and don't wake up 'till morning.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers

Re: Anyone else think it's noisy in the woods?

It can get noisy at times. The crickets and a lot of other animals. Usually, if you hear nothing (dead silence, no crickets, buzzing insects, owls etc.) it may mean that there may be rain coming. I usually set up the fly quick and I'm never wrong. Anyone else ever encounter this phenomenon? Or am I the only one that notices this?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Here in FL there are all kinds of critters out running all night. Darned Armadillos sound like a dozer going through the palmetto scrub. Bullfrogs are probably the worst and the constant drone of crickets and cicada are amazingly loud too depending on the season.

I take my young sons camping now and then. More often than not though we "camp out" in the livingroom floor, watch movies, and pop popcorn. They seem to like this better because it's not so "noisy" like it is outside. I'm working on pulling them back from the dark side though.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    40* TQ, 20* Zeppli
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    I usually bring ear plus for the first couple of nights at the beginning of hang season. Or should I say I wear cause I bring them always. Never now when you might set up next to someone who snores. They usually fall out during the night. After a couple of nights out I get used to the sounds of the woods and I'm fine.
    Oh hush...I dont snore
    Live for today, Prep for tomorrow.
    Pack and Paddle Events Page
    SBJ Outdoor Concepts

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Anyone else think it's noisy in the woods?

I love the noise in the woods! As a matter of fact last year I went on a hiking trip and the nights were dead silent. I felt like something significant was missing from my trip. The sounds of nature is music to my ears.
    Last edited by MAD777; 06-08-2013 at 06:11.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Standard Blue
    Insulation
    pad and sleep. bag
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Here in FL there are all kinds of critters out running all night. Darned Armadillos sound like a dozer going through the palmetto scrub. Bullfrogs are probably the worst and the constant drone of crickets and cicada are amazingly loud too depending on the season.

I take my young sons camping now and then. More often than not though we "camp out" in the livingroom floor, watch movies, and pop popcorn. They seem to like this better because it's not so "noisy" like it is outside. I'm working on pulling them back from the dark side though.
    Fair warning on armadillos. I hope no one is touching them since they are now known to be carriers of (get ready!) leprosy. This is not something for a certain website. If anyone does not believe me here's a link:
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/04/27...osy/index.html

or you can do your own research.

Anyone else think it's noisy in the woods?

Funny how each place has it's own distinctive noises- especially night noises...

Here in Australia the Kangaroos hopping about can sound like an angry giant stomping through the bush...
    For the uninitiated, if you happen to be out in the Koala Rut- the sound of an enthusiastic male can be quite unnerving and astonishing for such a small cuddly animal.
    Tasmanian Devils hunt at night and the sounds of a couple of Devils arguing over a bit of road kill is one you'll never forget.
    Flying Foxes or Fruit Bats sound like squabbling children and the killer sound you cannot escape in the tropical dusk is the mind-numbing droning Buzz of the tropical cicadas.

Where we used to live, there was a Lion Park about 5 Klm's away and on certain nights the sound of Lions calling would float across the paddocks. But that's the closest I've got to big game noises, at night.

The African Savannah would be something else....
    Last edited by Ol Grumpy; 06-08-2013 at 01:28.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Its the bears...the big brown bears...the bears that don't make a sound, the bears, and the lines and squares...and their spit. I hate their spit!

Hammock
    DIY WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HG20* Inc., MH Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    The other day I was woken up at about 3 in the morning by two owls having a hoot off right over my head.

It was an awesome thing to listen to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast