One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti

Sizing quilts

I'm getting closer to starting some quilt projects. The next thing I need to figure out is how much material I need, but before I can do that I need to figure out how big the quilts are going to be. Is there any type of rule of thumb or calculator for that? The three main variables seem to be shoe size, height and width at the shoulders. The PLTQs I made are a bit big and I don't want to want to go too far the other way this time.

not a specific science.

I'd recommend looking at the dimensions on the popular quilt manufacturers. If you are planning on making your quilt out of 1.1 ripstop I'd recommend looking at underquilts.com

They sell shells for underquilts and topquilts. I've made one of their underquilts and it was quite easy. I priced out the cost of making the quilt with seconds 1.1 ripstop from backwoods day dreamer and I would have saved myself about $20 making the whole thing myself. I think that's a pretty good trade off for a few hours of work cutting and sewing the pieces and baffles together. I made my UQ with suspension and down for about $120

-Loki

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I'm getting closer to starting some quilt projects. The next thing I need to figure out is how much material I need, but before I can do that I need to figure out how big the quilts are going to be. Is there any type of rule of thumb or calculator for that? The three main variables seem to be shoe size, height and width at the shoulders. The PLTQs I made are a bit big and I don't want to want to go too far the other way this time.
    I feel like there is a calculator, but I don't remember where. Plan on using (5) yards of material for each top quilt *before* you also add in the material needed for baffles. Width - the standard is 50" finished. Don't forget about seam allowance/finishing in your measurement. Length - Up to you - how tall are you? Drawcord footbox takes up about 6" when closed. Footbox - IIRC typical girth is 36".

Ryan

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Here's a popular calculator - does TQ, UQ and more : https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=48444
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    1.9 DL Switchback
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps n Rings
    Is the width of a top quilt solely dependent on the size of the user or are there other factors involved? I've looked on manufacturers websites but other than stating what widths are available there is no other information that I have been able to find.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Well, I'm 6' but part of the dilemma is if I just want something up to my shoulders or be able to pull it over my head. I'm thinking shoulder would be fine for the 40* one. The 10* bag is what I'm really not sure about. In April I was out with my sleep system with a low around 15* and had a major problem with condensation and frost. Gortex and synthetic can take it pretty good but down not so much. So, I still need to figure out what I'm going to do to keep my head warm and the down dry.

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Here's a popular calculator - does TQ, UQ and more : https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=48444
    Thanks, I've run into that before. I just need to figure out what dimensions I want to plug into that thing.

• + New Posts