dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

DIY hammock tarp fail X3?

Hey everyone this may kind of a long post because I have a few different probelms I'm having with my DIY tarp.

First of all I made a four season tarp with doors and everything and I seam sealed it and did the waterproof tarp spray crap at Walmart a few different times(buy the time I gave up with it it had a few coats of seam sealer and a few coats of water proofing) and it held out to a water hose and a sprinkler test just fine. But before I gotmit out on the field I wanted to test it in some intence heavy rain. So I set up my hang in my backyard and shut it down tight and doors shut and everything and well to say the less all of my crap got soaked. (The first time or two I tried this in intence rain I used a ridge line under my tarp and did have strings tied off from the ridge line and the hammock to take the drops of water to the grown. But first few times got soaked.

So I try it Again even tighter pitch but without the ridge line and my stuff was damp on the outside (sleeping bag and hammock) but still sleep able but a few hours after still raining hard I was getting soaked seems like my tarp hold out light rain for a while then becomes hardly even effective.

So now I'm at the point to where I tried using some mineral spirits with deluged 100% silicone. (I'm sure you have herd of this method) but now my tarp seems 100%waterproof but is relly rubbery feeling. Using the mineral spirits and deluting the silicone method is my tarp sopost to basically feel like rubber gloves?
    So should I try deluting the silicone more? And how should my tarp feel when it's 100% dried?
    Feel free to leave any comments just trying to make this thing waterproof but not as rubbery and any ripe on ridge line? Thanks a tone everyone!!

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: DIY hammock tarp fail X3?

No experience on the DIY sip job, but your silicone spray experience is on par with mine (cheap Colman tent). My sip seam sealer (GE silicone II & mineral spirits) has a rubbery feel, so I'd say rubbery texture sounds right.

Hammock
    dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Hmm alrighty thank you!

• + New Posts