DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

11' DIY hammock - tarp coverage

I tried out my new DIY 5' x 11' hammock last night to work out some issues and learned that my tarp is only a little longer than the hammock. There's probably only about 6 to 10 inches of coverage on each end. I'm using a Hennessy Hex tarp which I've heard is pretty popular with people using 11 foot hammocks. Anyhow it rained pretty hard and about one foot on each end of the hammock got wet. I don't know if it was from lack of coverage or water running down the whoopie slings. I think the tarp is marginal in length but a lot of people use them. So can anybody give me some tips about keeping the ends of the hammock dry. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Sleep bag
    Suspension
    Home made Whoopies
    Make sure you have a drip line of some sort. Whoopie should have been good enough depending on length of loop at install. The tail needs to hang straight down and not be on top. If that still is allowing water to wick down then throw a piece of line over the whoopie just before the hammock to pull water down.

If the rain was a "blowing rain" and coming in from the side or end then that could be cause of wet hammock, but since both ends got wet I suspect the drip line wasn't sufficient.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    there's about two and a half feet between where the whoopie line drops to the ground and the end of the hammock. Can you tell me how they are supposed to be installed?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Anywhere on the suspension that puts them under the coverage of your tarp. As long as rain is not hitting the Amsteel behind where you mount the drip loops/lines, hardware ect, you are good to go.

It doesn't have to be fancy a lot of people use small strips of Shamwow, but it can really be almost anything you can clip on the line that has a tail.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    That makes sense for the drip line to be under the tarp. I don't see how you could use the tail of a whoopsie for that since its on the other end up by the tree straps, at least that's how I set mine up. Anyone have any comments on the coverage provided by the hennessey hex tarp? I picked one up on eBay at a good price and plenty of people told me it was long enough but it sure seems a bit short to me.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    The Hex is a good solid tarp upgrade for the HH.

I believe it may still be a bit short on 11'rs depending on length of RL, but it is a vast improvement over the original HH Diamond.

If it doesn't fit, it's still a keeper IMO. Hold on to it. DIY a 10' Tableclothfactory special or the like, throw in a suspension, and you have a very nice kit for someone you might choose to "Elevate" out of the duff, on their next trip out.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    I agree, its a really nice tarp. I especially like the little pockets for the guylines. With a 9 foot ridge line it gives me 1 foot of coverage on each end. I've never hammock camped before but I have tarp camped and I do know that I don't want to get wet. Are there any tricks for mitigating the skimpy coverage you get up at the pointy ends of a hex or diamond tarp.

• + New Posts