Thread: Whipping

Whipping

I just ordered a warbonnet blackbird and due to my impatience in wait time I want to attempt and make my own just so I can start hanging. I sewed up my ripstop nylon today (had to go to Joanne's) all my local walmarts didn't have anything but I did have a 50% off coupon. Anyway, I can't seem to get a good solid answer on what kind of cord to use for whipping. Also, are there any good videos for a structural ridgeline. Any help is appreciated

Hammock
    DIY wide tablecloth
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had just asked a similar question a week ago..

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ferrerid=32719

In the meanwhile, I've built 4 gathered end hammocks.. used paracord in a channel (WBBB style) on one, did a W fold and used paracord (no channel, just externally) on another, and for the last two I ran some waxed string through the tiny channel (tablecloth hems). All of them seem to be working fine (300+ pounds tested in each, swinging kids included.. )

Hope this helps

Gerard

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Sleep bag
    Suspension
    Home made Whoopies
    Since it is not taking any real weight the whipping line isn't really that important. Mainly look for something that is resistant to mold, rot, UV damage. Paracord seems to be a good choice, mason line, hemp rope, amsteel....

Thanks everyone. Gdm, I actually saw your thread. I really thought I read 550 paracord was no good, but can't find that again anywhere so that is what I am going to use. Looks my depot has it in stick. Nift, thanks for explaining that isn't really for support, makes me feel better not worrying about it so much now. I am most likely just going to gather it at the end using the "w" fold. Any good recommendations about the structural ridgeline? I think I need to see a video for it to make more sense. I don't want to have to buy the whoopie sling ridgeline, trying to keep this one cheap. I can always add the ridgeline later on right? Maybe after I see it on my bb it will make sense to me.

Whipping

Quote Originally Posted by Nift View Post
    Since it is not taking any real weight the whipping line isn't really that important. Mainly look for something that is resistant to mold, rot, UV damage. Paracord seems to be a good choice, mason line, hemp rope, amsteel....
    My depot doesn't carry 550 paracord but they had some paracord that is rated 100 lbs. you said this isn't really holding the weight so will this be okay? I don't think it is true paracord.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwpimpin View Post
    My depot doesn't carry 550 paracord but they had some paracord that is rated 100 lbs. you said this isn't really holding the weight so will this be okay? I don't think it is true paracord.
    For the Knotty/Warbonnet style whipping, I've successfully used twisted mason's line (break strength ~40 lbs). No problem after ~30-40 nights in the hammock.

The line in that style of whipping isn't taking any of the load; all it's doing is gathering fabric into a "knob". The suspension then pulls on the knob, not the line. All of the load is going directly from the fabric to the suspension, not through that line.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    When I first tried out whipped end hammocks, before I decided to do a sewn channel, I just used a couple of spare boot laces. Be careful that your suspension doesn't pull directly on the shipping. I hit the ground a few times due to the whipping slipping off.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    All you use has to do is hold a knot really well. Gutted paracord is my favorite but anything that will stay put will work.

Gutted paracord has good elasticity. Pull your knots tight with pliers and it's not going to let go on it's own.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

I made the knot that everyone says and when I pulled it through with the pliers the rope started separating. It seems tight but I don't trust it. I did a quick hang between my kids play set and it held but it doesn't look as clean as others I have seen and I think it still needs to go even further into the knot. I may try something else.

• + New Posts