Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images

On the road again

Sitting here at the end of our second day on the road to Maine from Florida. Made it thru DC today so we don't have to face the traffic on a Monday. Slept in a BED last night, 5th time in 2 years, two word description, it sucks. The only saving grace was the fact that it was on that high dollar foam mattress, still sucked. Yesterday went thru a 12 mile, 2 1/2 hr traffic jam on I-95 in SC.

I'm on my 3rd Bourbon & Coke and ready for a shower, maybe, maybe the BED won't be as bad tonight, maybe I won't care.

We have developed the Star Trek communicator, working on the Phaser. How about the Transporter? I would be willing to drive the 5th wheel into one in Florida and emerge in Maine and willing to pay the price at the cost of diesel fuel.

Mostly I'm just ready to hang my hammock in the trees in Maine at 50 or 60 degrees and sleep until 9:00 am.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Bright side=you're over half way there....blink you eye a few times and you'll be in the hammock surrounded by Maine goodness.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Be safe, my friend. I'm with you on the transporter...don't even want to fly long distances these day, let alone drive. MightyMouse and I have spent 2 nights in beds since we went full time. SOOoo glad to get back to the hammocks!
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    This just a tease olddog,,but my RR bridge was soooo comfy last nite I didn't want to get up this morning!!!!! Think about the stop at the end of the road and the comfort you have waiting for you and let the anticipation build. Be safe my friend on the road and endure the beds. The end of the road awaits you!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    We try to avoid the interstates with the Motor Home. It just seems more interesting than endless miles of concrete. Don't know what's worse - getting around DC or NYC. Keep the dirty side down!
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    One time I went through Canada to get to Maine without a NYC encounter.
    Guess what??
    Montreal is on an island and all roads go through it. Still had traffic jams and stop and go.
    There is no way to drive without some (unless, maybe drive at night and sleep during normal working hours?)
    I do that to avoid Atlanta during rush hour. Leave Florida in afternoon. stop in Macon for night. leave at 5 am and clear Atlanta before 7 AM.

One time I took the auto train and then 270 to I70 to I81 to avoid NYC. That worked pretty well. But, your Trailer won't fit on the auto train. and I wouldn't want to pay the fare if it did. And the route from Albany area over to Maine is a pain in the keister with small towns and low speed limits.

Anyway, glad it's going well, if not fast enough to suit you.

I'm contemplating a trip there labor day weekend myself.
    grinder

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    The bright side IS definitely the Maine goodness. I have bought my TurtleDog stand (in my DIY cordura case-people always wonder why I'm carrying snow skis in summer) into many a hotel room while traveling by car-and who do I have to thank that for!?

Seriously though, on the way home, consider that 2nd route that Google Maps shows you when you put in for a route from Maine to Lakeland- The I-95+I-81 route is beautiful and that extra 100 miles doesn't matter at all when you bypass DC.
    AND you can avoid NYC traffic by cutting over to the west on the Tappen Zee bridge (then take Garden St. Parkway to I-78W to I-81S).
    https://local.google.com/maps?saddr=...a=ls&z=6&via=1

Enjoy Maine, definitely the place to be on the East Coast in June!

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    With you in spirit, would love to spend some time in Maine again. Be safe, m'Friend, and come back to us restored!

kc -- fulltime hammocker, thanks to Olddog, Samsara, & Duffy!
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    One day closer! Rain from outside DC to Newburg, NY. Hooked up the water, electric and cable so we could check the weather didn't even unhook the truck. Looks like the rain won't be as bad tomorrow and should make Maine even if we don't get all the way to the property. Looking forward to hosting a couple of hangs with the New England branch of the Hammock Forum family.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Made it to the property at dusk with just enough light to make a temporary hookup. Cold and wet but I'm not dealing with the heat and humidity of Florida. Found a plumbing leak at the shed which will have to be dealt with and will need for the wet ground to dry out before attempting to get the RV on our site. This soil up here can be like a brick when dry and slick as ice when wet. But the rains will stop and the sun will shine and it is good to be up here after our 2 summers away from Maine.

In the 2 years away found that roads that were great are now not so much. Came around DC on Sunday so not too bad. Spent the night north of DC and got out just in front of the tornado ? or so we heard. Left out on I-95 then picked up the 295 & Jersey TP to the 287 thru NJ then I-87 north thru NY with a stop in Newburg then on to I-90 to 495 and back to 95 to Maine.

Again it's good to here and looking forward to getting together with some of the Forum family up here.

• + New Posts