Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird

WB Blackbird and HH Snakeskin

Will I need to do any modifications to get the #4 Snakeskin to work with my Blackbird?

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Never tried it but have both. You might find the small end of the snake skins a tight fit over the buckles on the Blackbird. You could easily cut and inch or two off each end to get to a bit wider section of skin.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I'm wondering why you would want to use snakeskins with the Blackbird, since it comes in such a nice bag? What advantages do you see?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Isn't the bag it comes with just a stuff sack?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl, diy bb clone 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly, eno pro
    Insulation
    HG phoenix, golite
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Not really. It is open on both ends so you really never have to ake it out of the stuffsak.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    oh cool, guess i'll use the snakeskin for my tarp then.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme Napper View Post
    I'm wondering why you would want to use snakeskins with the Blackbird, since it comes in such a nice bag? What advantages do you see?
    I used both with my Blackbird, and both have their pros and cons.

The WB stuff sack is probably lighter than the snakeskins. And the packed hammock is more compact. Also, the hammock does not need to be up and hanging for packing it: it's easy to stuff it into the bag when not suspended. When not in use as a stuff sack, you can use it as a peak bag or hang it from the ridge line to store things. But I never really use it that way, seeing that the Blackbird has the shelf.

The snakeskins on the other hand are great for hanging the hammock without getting dirt on it. This might not be such a big issue when you always have trees with the perfect distance. But I often have to hang between two very far apart trees, which means I have to climb up a couple of meters to attach the suspension. It's great when you can actually see the hammock length and judge the angle (not possible when the hammock is in a stuff sack).

Also you can be more relaxed when having to hang the hammock in the rain. You don't need to put up the tarp first (which I always have problems with) - the hammock stays dry.

I also found the skins useful on campsites when there are lots of non-hangers around, especially kids, and I will be away for longer times. Kids are curious and often do things they're not supposed to do. I was always anxious to come back to a ripped net or something. I also don't want people to try out my bed without asking first, or without me knowing about it in the first place. The snakeskins give me peace of mind: I deploy them before I leave the campsite for a longer time, and people just see a fat roll of fabric hanging under my tarp.

On the negative side, a hammock in skins doesn't fit in the backpack as nicely as a hammock in a stuff sack. And the hammock needs to be up and hanging in order to be able to pull the snakeskins over the hammock correctly. It's next to impossible to do that with an unsuspended hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Just had a look - the #4 Hennessy snakeskins is what it used with my 10' Blackbird ("old style") and the length was fine. As mentioned already, it's a problem to get them installed since the buckle doesn't fit through the very narrow end. With whoopie slings it's not a problem. I had a ring-suspension installed while I used the snakeskins, and I remember that it was complicated to work out how to fit the skins. I think I took of the suspension off completely, put the snakeskins over the suspension and then had to put the suspension back on, which wasn't easy because you have to thread it through the structural ridgeline. Can't remember how I did it exactly, and I always had a bunched up end. It's probably a good idea to shorten the snakeskins, and thereby widening the opening.

Hammock
    WBBB Double Layer
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    webbing
    I have made no modifications to mine and it works, but it could work better. I will need to try Hutzelbein's suggestion on cutting the skin short to address the buckle issue.

Hutzelbein made some great points to consider. My goal was quick and easy setup/tear down and feel the snake skin provides that, otherwise I don’t see much value in them. Most videos showing people setting up hammocks already have the straps set for the tree distance, so their hammock doesn’t touch the ground (or it takes some time to setup)…not the real world. Mine was on the ground recently 3 times and the skin kept my hammock clean and dry. I use a compression sack, so that helped with the packing issue to some point.

• + New Posts