AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Utah Hangers Unite Trip Report

Got back late Sunday evening from the first ever Utah Hang. We had a great time and got to meet a lot of new folks.

I took my oldest with me, W who really had a lot of fun. Thanks to the guys at the hang for being so cool at having the kids around.

Our trip started at about 1am Thursday when we left home, gassed up and hit the freeway for the first 5 hours of driving to the SLC area.

Packed and ready to roll.

By the time we gassed up and meet up with MuseJr and his son for breakfast I was feeling zonked. The next few hundred miles were a little slow with stops to stretch, chug a monster energy and then roll a few more hours, rinse and repeat. But we still made it to the campground by about 1pm, what I had expected for the bit over 600 mile drive.

We poked around camp a bit and found some trees for each of the 4 of us.

After a little relaxing I wanted to stretch the legs and see how the fishing would treat us. We hiked out a ways and W and I hit a couple lakes before the evening got to far along.

We spotted a handfull of fish but could not seem to get any attention from them. So back to camp for some dinner and as the sun went down we all retired to our hammocks for the evening. The wind spent a few hours torturing us in our hammocks. The small aspen trees would bend and sway with each wind gust...I would guess we had close to 20mph gust that night. But after a few hours the wind settled and we were all out till the sun was up.

We decided to hit the trail and check out a few of the lakes a bit further from camp before the other folks would arrive. After a little over a mile we arrived at the first lake. Casting Practice. We watched fish, large fish, swim past our flies time and time again. I would not really even call if fishing, this was casting practice.

We hiked up and over the small hill to hit the lower lake. Lunch and more casting practice. At this lake there were some great looking Cutts stacked up in the inlet all colored up in spawning colors.

W and I hiked back down the trail a bit after lunch.

When we made it back to camp the first of the other folks had made it to the CG. jerhangin11 and hit crew and had already set to getting their hammocks hung up.

Not much later Widdors arrived with his buddy and then a little later Bikerdad and his buddy rolled in. It did not take long before the potluck was underway and we were all enjoying some great food....don't have any pictures though, I was to busy eating. A great evening around the fire with lots of laughing and then it was time to hop in the hammocks and be rocked and bounced around in the hammock as the wind got stronger though the night.

In the morning we all hung out for a while and eat a casual breakfast.

Bikerdad and his buddy hit the road pretty early. While some of the rest of us set out on the trail for a good day hike to check out a couple other lakes with hopes of finding some fish that would play.

It took a bit to figure out what worked but FINALLY!

Before long almost everyone was hooking into fish with several landed. Around this point I told W to take the camera and get some shot of everyone fishing. He loved it.

After a bit we packed up and headed a little further down the trail to the next lake. It did not seem to have a ton of fish but they were a little more willing to play.

First cast.

We spent a couple hours at the lake and caught a good number of fish. On our way out we took a few minutes to look at one of the smaller and very shallow lakes in the area. I hooked a few fish and then W wanted one on his own. We walked over to the very small inlet stream and he pulled out a nice brookie.

A bit over a mile hike back to the Campground

and then a nice long break in the shade.

As evening came on we had a huge fire, lots of hours of dodging sparks and smoke as the wind really kicked up.

Far to soon morning came and we packed up and everyone hit the road within about 20 minutes of each other. W and I rolled down to Escalante and picked up some supplies for the the full day of driving ahead. We made good time making the trip in about 11 hours. For us it was 1254 miles in total...not counting hiking.

We had a great time and hope to be able to hang with all of the Utah crew again soon. See you down the trail.

Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    To all of the Utah crew, Please add your pics to the tread. Would love to see some other pics from you guys.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Great pics. Beautiful area. Longggggg trip!
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Great trip report as usual Paul!

Whish I could have been there with you.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings

Re: Utah Hangers Unite Trip Report

I didn't take many pics. I feel like I spent a lot of time lounging and I don't regret it.
    It was nice to chat with the group. I think we had more non HF members than HF members for this trip, but they would fit in around here if they decided to join.

My boy decided he wanted to fly fish this trip. The wind made casting lessons difficult, but the roll cast worked from time to time.

The views from camp were great. It was a good time to visit the area because everything was green. (Could do without the skeeters though.)

Jer, Wid, Biker and guests- The next hang is going to be closer to our neck of the woods. Maybe mirror lake hwy to a base camp? (Washington or Trial lakes) These are paved roads to the camp so it is a little more bike friendly.
    Cache Valley would be a good area to go too.
    PG - Nice to see you again. Early Aug in southern ID? July will be a tough sell, but I might be able to sneak in a weekend.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I do have a photo to contribute:

It was a lot of fun, I was surprised how fun it was chatting around the campfire with people I hadn't met before. Kind of reminded me of an adult scout camp. Hopefully bikerdad made it down the hill safe and sound.

Thanks guys, I look forward to the next one.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 season Cuben
    Insulation
    20* burrow/incubtr
    Suspension
    Webs,whoopi,&dutch

Bacon!!!!

Guys that was an amazing trip! I feel honored to have been apart of the first Utah hang. I do have a couple of pics to add as well (though none of them can top the widdor just posted of Zach).
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371009312.087745.jpg
    Thanks again Musejr for lending me the hammock when mine ripped
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371009453.917438.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371009509.961100.jpg
    This is my brother who we were converting to "hammockism"
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371009615.952389.jpg
    Gotta show off my new quilt
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371009650.603205.jpg
    Our most recent convert to hangin! Welcome to the good life John!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371009704.680664.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371009720.119880.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371009749.337626.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    HG 4 season Cuben
    Insulation
    20* burrow/incubtr
    Suspension
    Webs,whoopi,&dutch

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371009968.842389.jpg
    Thanks for the good idea Mic (Musejr)
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371010022.440533.jpg

Thanks all for the good time! Let's do it again soon!

Hammock
    WBB, Sierra Madre Para
    Tarp
    WB MamaJamba
    Greg and I made it down the mountain safely, although there were a couple of very hairy moments.

I had a great time, looking forward to another hang.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Nice pics Paul.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast