Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

First night using Supershelter

Lay weekend I finally got a chance to try out my new Supershelter that I got from another member here at the forums.

First night with the scouts I tried just the shell without the insulation. It was supposed to be a warm night (67F) and I figured that would be enough with my sleeping bag. Nope still had CBS on my back and shoulders.

So I put the insulation in the next morning, but not the emergency blanket. It's a pain in the butt to do it, because the elastic in the undercover splits the hammock in two. But I got it installed and in place.

The SS performed great - I had to use the bag as a quilt, which was expected, and slept well all night. I also really didn't have the issues with repacking it in the pack that others have reported.

I will say that the arrangement of elastic and tie-offs at the foot end are strange, and wonder if there is a better arrangement or modification that anyone has done.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I can't quite follow what the problem was you're experiencing. What do you mean by the "elastic in the undercover splits the hammock in two"?
    Have you watched the videos on installing the supershelter on the hennessy site? I found it very easy and straightforward to install.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    At the risk of sounding like a noob, "CBS"?
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a noob, "CBS"?
    Cold Butt Syndrome=CBS

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Ah, guess I didn't know it because I am usually able to keep pretty toasty
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    I'm with NWOhanger -I don't find the underpad too difficult to install. The tension from the BE elastic does create a ridge that follows the calf ridge and more or less the proper lay angle when in the hammock, but it's easy enough to simply push the UC lower (closer to the ground) to slide the foot end of the pad in and attach, then the UC will tension itself up to the bottom of the hammock holding the pad in place. I also find it easier to have the pad rolled up lengthwise, insert into the UC and unroll inside the UC (as shown in the Hennessy video).

The actual attachments on the UC (toggle and loop) for the head and foot end can be a little futzy, but I don't know that modding them with velcro instead would be a big improvement. It becomes a lot easier once you become familiar with how it attches, it's a little confusing the first time or two. Easiest way I have found is once the UC and UP are installed, just stuff the whole thing assembled and attached to the hammock into a stuff sack. Makes setup very easy. Attach one end to tree, walk to other tree unfurling as you go and attach to the 2nd tree. Done!

HTH
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post
    I'm with NWOhanger -I don't find the underpad too difficult to install. The tension from the BE elastic does create a ridge that follows the calf ridge and more or less the proper lay angle when in the hammock, but it's easy enough to simply push the UC lower (closer to the ground) to slide the foot end of the pad in and attach, then the UC will tension itself up to the bottom of the hammock holding the pad in place. I also find it easier to have the pad rolled up lengthwise, insert into the UC and unroll inside the UC (as shown in the Hennessy video).

The actual attachments on the UC (toggle and loop) for the head and foot end can be a little futzy, but I don't know that modding them with velcro instead would be a big improvement. It becomes a lot easier once you become familiar with how it attches, it's a little confusing the first time or two. Easiest way I have found is once the UC and UP are installed, just stuff the whole thing assembled and attached to the hammock into a stuff sack. Makes setup very easy. Attach one end to tree, walk to other tree unfurling as you go and attach to the 2nd tree. Done!

HTH
    Yeah, no big deal at all, but:
    1: I'm extremely used to it and
    2: I'm only going to put the UC, and quite likely also the pad and space blanket, in place once a year, then it stays on until hot weather.

But hey Captain, glad to hear you were toasty once the pad was in place! That UC might buy you a few degrees, mainly beneficial as a wind/rain blocker, but consider some folks are cold even at 75 especially if it is windy.

Did you have any condensation?

• + New Posts