Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How To Hang a Hammock (Newbie Here)

The reason I joined these forums is to hopefully gain some information on Hammock camping. I recently purchased a Byer Moskito Traveler Hammock and 30 feet of 4mm heavy duty rope, and i'm not sure how to hang it from the tree, can anyone post a diagram or video showing me the correct way how to do this.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    First you will be told do not use the rope. It does some damage to the tree though how much can be and often is debated. It also will keep you from being able to hang in most parks due to perception. You should look into Shugs vids for hammock noobies. Lots of info there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    Seek Shug Emery on youtube. Or go to the video gallery here and search "shug". He will guide the way. He has guided many of us. View his "how to series". All you need to know.

Unhappy

Thanks for replying I wasn't aware I would need more gear to hang my hammock. Looks like i'm out of luck for the time being due to the fact I have no money to spend on gear and i'm unemployed. But again thanks for replying and I did find him to be very knowledgeable on this subject.

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Creativity can work wonders. You don't have to have specific "cool" gear to start hanging, just something that will do the job safely for you and for the trees.Look around. Learn a few basic knots, pad the tree where necessary while you use the rope. I bet you can find a way to hang with what you have on hand until you can acquire something better. Remember: hang no higher than you are willing to fall. Have fun.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag/Pad
    Suspension
    AtlaStraps/Whoopie
    For hanging in state parks, I took a foam pad and put some paracord on it, slid the straps through the paracord and put the pad between the tree and my straps. It may be overkill perhaps, even with straps, but I've had 2 rangers tell me thanks for taking the extra step in protecting the trees, both are pretty clueless on hammocks except that they've had people in the past drill eye bolts in to trees to suspend them, which apparently was why they took such interest in our hang. I imagine, if you can't buy straps right now, maybe just a cheap pad, cut it to size, and use it around the tree between the tree and ropes, it may at least make it appear to be more kosher for the trees in the mean time.

Thank everyone, Thats probably what I'll end up doing is trying to find somethings around my house to hang it, I've already got something that will work as tree straps. Were camping for 8 days so I'd better just pack my tent also. Thanks again for replying!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, DH's, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Bandit/ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Dutch Swag
    It's been established..... Shug is willing to teach all who are willing to learn!

Hammock
    Eno Dbl. Nest, wbbb xlc dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    12' Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopies, cinch
    Shug's videos will explain everything you need to know! great info there!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by NextDegreeSurvival View Post
    Thanks for replying I wasn't aware I would need more gear to hang my hammock. Looks like i'm out of luck for the time being due to the fact I have no money to spend on gear and i'm unemployed. But again thanks for replying and I did find him to be very knowledgeable on this subject.
    Go to a fabric store and find yourself some 1 inch wide polypropylene webbing. Or, go to a backpacking store and get some climbing webbing. You can pick up 10 to 12 feet for a few bucks.

If you have a sewing machine then sew a loop in one end and put about 8 bar tacks in there. If you don't have a sewing machine then no problem. Just tie a water knot in the end.

That will give you a set of tree straps for just a few bucks. Just wrap it around the tree and put the "sharp" end through the loop.

Oh, and for the marlin spike toggle you can use a piece of 3.8" wooden dowel that you get from the hardware store. Some people just use a solid stick from wherever you happen to hang. Remember, you're not hanging from the toggle, you're hanging from the knot. If that doesn't make sense yet then go check out Shug's hammock newbie videos. They're priceless. :-)

BTW, when are you headed out on your trip?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast