Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Terraplane-
    Thanks for the heads-up! I have heard the same thing in the past couple of days about stretches of dry. So yeah, I'm planning for that pretty carefully. Even considering stashing some water at certain points ahead of time. The above tree line sections are what I'm looking forward to right now. I've been playing with some climbing gear of late and think I may have some solutions for no-tree hangs. Still going to be a trick in finding an ideal spot to hang among the rocks, but the challenge is what makes life enjoyable for me.

Probably not a smart thing, but I refuse to be prepared to go to ground. Let's just call in stubborn in lieu of stupid. If I do have to go to ground, it will be an uncomfortable night to be sure. I will survive and have something to complain about the next day as I go searching for trees.

One thing that makes this hike extremely appealing to me is the constant availability of accessible trailheads. Genuine Draft will be able to help me with easy resupplies and gear adjustments; particularly for the first 200 miles. It also allows me to make some water caches in critical areas. My pack weight should be significantly lower as I'll be able to carry less food between reups.

When are you thinking about taking another shot at it this summer? I'd be glad to offer assistance if you need/want it. At the very least, I'll bring you a pizza and a 6 pack.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag

Water

I hiked some of the CT in Wyoming a few years ago. Part of the trail follows the devide. You can see streams and snow fields below you but no water on top. One spot had a spring in one location off to the side of the trail. It was a wet spot. We had not had access to water for quite a while and had to hike down over the side quite a way to get to a snow field and water.
    Then had the bad luck to break the filter after about 5 bottles were filled. It was the only filter we had and no other water treatment except to boil. Came across a road and a camper parked later that day. They had some trail magic with some super glue. Got the pump on the filter repaired. Even had a great cold beer while the glue set.

Images
    I was thinking about ways to carry water when I was playing around with the Hay Duke idea last year. Stupid job got in the way

But I was thinking about sewing a new water bladder sleeve into the pack. In the same spot on the inside of the bag next to your back. But wide big enough to hold 2 or 3 gatoraid bottles accross and up. That would give you plenty of water storage. If it would leak you could make it in a way it would leak out of your pack, away from your gear. It would be next to your back and easier to carry the weight. And all your eggs would not be in one basket. One leaks no big deal.

Just a thought.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Oh, finally telling your secret about Hayduke huh?

I keep meaning to write Brian at ULA and see how it went for him. Still, 20 miles without water is one thing. 75 - 80 miles without a water source is a whole other ball of wax. I still can't really envision that, but freely admit that the challenge of it appeals to me.

When we going?
    Trust nobody!

Images
    If I don't get a motorcycle, how about half of it next year. I can let it out since it didn't come to be. Or at least that is what I tell myself.

But come on it's only 80 miles. That's only 3 big days of hiking. Not to mention the one source that is radioactive. That is my personal favorite of the trail, which is more of a route.

Images
    My plan would be use an inflatable pad for insulation underneath, then cowboy with the tarp when there are no trees. I'm not afraid.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    My plan would be use an inflatable pad for insulation underneath, then cowboy with the tarp when there are no trees. I'm not afraid.
    Never, never, never!
    Where there is a will there is always a way. I'm so against the ground I'm trying to figure out a way to hang a hammock in my casket when the time comes.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Never, never, never!
    Where there is a will there is always a way. I'm so against the ground I'm trying to figure out a way to hang a hammock in my casket when the time comes.
    I am thinking viking style in my hammock. Reinforced with some metal to prolong the process.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That's what I'm talkin about!
    Trust nobody!

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Cannibal,

Sleeping above timberline sometimes is a unique experience. I just down loaded a picture from a ground dwelling trip. The focus of that trip was the view at dusk and dawn.

WARNING to moderators: I posted a nonhammock picture -- feel free to delete it.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast