Hammock
    DH RoamingGnome
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    ALL HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wicked chills last nights about midnight. Had to sleep in my 15 degree bag until the Motrin kicked in. This is not going to be fun.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Hey mattyoc: sorry to hear about the Lyme disease. Sounds like you caught it early, which is one of the biggest factors in determining the progression of disease. If treated early, the VAST majority of folks do really well...minor flu like symptoms are likely the worst effects from Lyme that is treated early. You may experience GI symptoms from taking the doxycycline. Often times, eating yogurt with active cultures can help with the diarrhea. The antibiotics wipe out the normal bacteria that live in your GI tract that keep you "regular". Once those bacteria are gone, the runs ensue.

And, as someone else mentioned, doxy is one of those drugs that makes skin more likely to burn from sun exposure. Would be good to lay low if possible. If you have to be outside in the sun, would be good to cover up as much as possible and liberally and regularly apply sun screen.

After a couple days of treatment with doxy, you probably won't notice the effects of Lyme and may start to experience GI effects from the doxy. Don't bail on the antibiotics. Take the full course to make sure that you wipe out the Lyme. Partially treated Lyme disease can persist and produce all sorts of nasty problems down the road... Everything from joint problems to neurologic disease.

Good luck!

Bruce

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaabat View Post
    Hey mattyoc: sorry to hear about the Lyme disease. Sounds like you caught it early, which is one of the biggest factors in determining the progression of disease. If treated early, the VAST majority of folks do really well...minor flu like symptoms are likely the worst effects from Lyme that is treated early. You may experience GI symptoms from taking the doxycycline. Often times, eating yogurt with active cultures can help with the diarrhea. The antibiotics wipe out the normal bacteria that live in your GI tract that keep you "regular". Once those bacteria are gone, the runs ensue.

And, as someone else mentioned, doxy is one of those drugs that makes skin more likely to burn from sun exposure. Would be good to lay low if possible. If you have to be outside in the sun, would be good to cover up as much as possible and liberally and regularly apply sun screen.

After a couple days of treatment with doxy, you probably won't notice the effects of Lyme and may start to experience GI effects from the doxy. Don't bail on the antibiotics. Take the full course to make sure that you wipe out the Lyme. Partially treated Lyme disease can persist and produce all sorts of nasty problems down the road... Everything from joint problems to neurologic disease.

Good luck!

Bruce
    +1 on the Yogurt, and/or probiotic supplements.

Sorry you have got this, glad to hear you caught it early. That is why I continue to take my risk with Permethrin treated clothing, along with 20% Picaridin on exposed skin, anything not covered by the treated clothing. I spent 3 days last week hiking off trail in dense MS jungle, often in swampy terrain. No hint of any bugs, other than some Mossies buzzed close to me a couple of times, and occasionally some gnats would dive bomb my eyes, an area where I did not have Picaridin applied. I figure what ever risk there might be to these 2 products is at least matched by the risk of insect bites.

Although, there is another current tick thread where someone was wearing a Permethrin soaked hat and still got a tick on their head. But I have had zero insect problems for however many years I have used that combo. And often all I use is the clothing, and still seem to do pretty good. But I always have some Picaridin available for exposed skin as a back up.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbridge/SB
    Images

Re: Stupid Ticks

Sorry to hear they got you!

I was only 13 when I got Lyme and didn't really grasp the seriousness of it, but I do remember feeling miserable until getting treated... After that I felt better quickly.

Hopefully you have the same luck & all your symptoms disappear quickly!

This is why I carry doxy with me when i hike on extended trips...just enough to tart a regimen to get out of the woods and to an MD...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12