DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie

Lows Lake, NY (pics)

Had a great but rainy trip last weekend (6/7-6/10) in the Adirondacks. This trip was by canoe and sleep by DIY hammocks that I put together for the friends and family.

Friday morning we drove up in the rain, unloaded the van and loaded the canoe and kayaks, in the rain.

A 9+ mile paddle brought us to campsite #26. Still raining, we set up camp and split up some down pine to start drying under the tarp. In about 30 minutes we finally had a very smoky fire.

Set up the hammocks and one tent (one isn't fully converted yet but by the end of the trip and a night of the best sleep he's had in the woods, I think I have another hammock to make)

We boiled up some water and made some Hamburger Helper dinners (dehydrated beef and a coozie work well.) Then we polished off our night caps and hit the hammocks. The rain slacked off as the sun went down and was only misting on and off by this point, hopefully we will have better weather for fishing tomorrow!

As we crawled out of our hammocks in the morning to the sound of the "tree rain", we cooked eggs and bacon and watched the mist lift off the water. No longer raining but looked like it could at any moment. Dad slipped up at the "thunder box" and put his back out so paddling into Bog Lake and trout fishing went out the window. The rest of us paddled around locally and got our lines and worms wet. We caught a few bass, my brother had a nice brookie in the kayak but as he held it up, WHOOPS!, in the lake he returned. That would be our only trout of the weekend. We cooked some hotdogs over the fire for lunch, fished some more in between passing light showers in the afternoon and had some of Babelfish5's BBQ spaghetti for dinner. (THANK YOU BF5 for the great recipes) Drank too much and went to bed... Still hoping for better weather.

Sunday we awoke to SUNSHINE!!

Dad was still laid up and sleeping off his muscle relaxers so the rest of us decided that after breakfast we would hike the trail to Grass Mountain. Hard, wet, slippery, and steep. We had a great view from the top, saw a spider that had caught his dinner (dragon fly) on a rock face. (hundreds of dragon flies flying around), ate a snack and returned to camp to fish and paddle some more. Another round of hotdogs on the fire followed and then more Hamburger Helper for dinner. More brews and bed again.

Monday we woke up to intermittent sunshine as we ate a lazy breakfast by 1030 and packed up and started paddling by 1130. I paddled out solo with dad in the bow of my tandem Bell Northwind (royalex) Of course, in good Adirondack fashion, our good weather breeze turned against us as we paddled into the wind all the way out. Made it to the lower dam by 1500 after stopping to talk to the assistant ranger Dawn for 20 minutes at the portage around the upper dam. As we were driving away, MORE RAIN. Talk about perfect timing, nothing worse that packing up rain soaked gear for 5 into a mini van. (other than not going at all)

All in all, we had a great trip. Dad says he would rather be laid up in the woods listening to the loons call over his couch at home any day. (as long as I was there to cater to him and paddle him out anyways)

(All bass were released as its not season here in NY)

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie

more pices

some more photos
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Looks like a great trip! I'm heading up to the Adirondacks in August for a canoe trip with my sons. They love the Adirondacks.

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I'm also going up in Aug.. Weekend of the 10th. Lows Lake again. Bringing the girls this trip

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'll be right near there! We're probably gonna spend night one on the Racquette River, then paddle Little Tupper Lake to Rock Pond. If we get frisky we might paddle on to Lake Lila. I'm not sure if we're going that weekend or the next.

Great area to paddle. My sons love it.

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    I'm so jealous. What a great trip and pictures. Brings back memories of my youth, before I moved south 37 years ago. Sorry about the brookie that got away.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    How were the black flies??
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Looks like a really fun trip.

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    SS... Yes, its a great area to paddle. Lila is nice too. Enjoy your trip, thanks

Jerzy... thanks, The black flies were non existent, bad mosquitoes at the lower dam. None up on the lake which is surprising due to all the rain. The dragon flies were ALL OVER. Maybe that and the breeze was why we had no bugs at camp.

Bonepile, thanks, Brookies get away all the time... I wasn't as upset as my brother (he heard about it all weekend)
    It wasn't his time.
    Jason

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Nice one! Too bad about your dad, hope he is better now. Thanks for sharing.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast