Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hammock ripping

Hammock ripping

Good thing I didn't quit my day job, I have only hung in the hammock I have made twice and it is already starting to rip down the middle. As anyone had this happen to them? I bought my fabric from Joanne's. I am unsure of the thickness, it didn't say anywhere on it. Could it be how I am hanging it? I didn't have trees so I hung it in between my kids play set. I didn't have all the supplies the first time I hung it so I just wrapped the webbing right around the playground. Yesterday, I finished it by sewing two rings into the webbing and just put a larks head around the whipped end. I still didn't have luck finding amsteel locally so this is what I did for now. Anyway, when I was laying in it I found a little hole, didn't think much of it, thought I could have dne it, but right down the middle you can tell that it looks like it wants to rip, like it was pulled to tight. I am just about 150, so my weight shouldn't be a factor. Any ideas? Thank. Good thing I ordered a WBBB.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Probably a flaw in the fabric. I ended up on the ground late last fall when the bottom of mine literally blew out. A bad feeling, especially on a rainy, cold night in the mountains a little north of Big Timber, MT.
    I'm also 150#. This was a professionally made hammock and was immediately replaced by the vendor. I sent them the torn one and they had never seen it happen before. I'm also very careful not to have anything sharp or rough attached to what I wear to sleep in. Had fleece pants on then.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    It could be your fabric isn't strong enough for hammock use. I had one blow out on me in Jan, in the snow, while it was sleeting. It was made from M50 which isn't a typical hammock material. If that hole is in an area that is under a lot of tension then you are very likely headed for a blow out. Especially if the fabric isn't ripstop.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Ripstop will also blow out - it's just harder to do it. I really suspect the hole no matter how it got there.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Thought I put that in my post but definitely ripstop nylon, just don't know if it is 1.1? It didn't say anywhere on it and the staff didn't know. The line that looks like it is starting to tear is right in the middle of the hammock, the hoe is a little higher and off center. Any other ideas on where to buy fabric? I checked all my local walmarts and they didn't have any. Joanne's is t he only fabric store around here and don't want to buy that again. Guess I will order online, then maybe I could get a cool camo print.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I don't think any of the stuff at Joanne's is 1.1. I have made tarps with it (PU coated variety) but never a hammock. I would order some stuff from DIY gear supply or some such place that is specifically designed for that purpose. Lots of work to have it tear out. Keep at it, it will work. I made a DL hammock from the pattern on Scott's website that has worked great. My wife likes it so much, she is going to make three more for her daughter to have at work and take camping with her husband.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    FWIW...the normal Joann's ripstop nylon is ~1.9oz/sy.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    That's what I thought. Worked well for a tarp I take when I paddle, but not for the UL crowd for sure.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    My gut tells me that all fabric of identical specification is not the same...if corners can be cut, and it can be made more cheaply, someone will do it. Moreover, different mills will have different levels of QC in place, and some probably have none.

How do you differentiate between the good, the bad, and the ugly? Danged if I know.

And this: the fabric you buy today from a given vendor is almost certainly not the same thing that was on the shelf a year ago.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Michigan Man lost in Northern Virginia...
    Hammock
    DIY "Bed Zeppelin", BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole & Dutch
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Just ordered my diy set up from DIY Gear Supply. fabric, amsteel, poly thread, ridge line, etc all for $46. Everything but bug netting &tarp materials. The 1.6oz fabric is real nice. Joanne's couldn't tell me a weight for their ripstop when I went there either.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast