Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies

back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I think folks might be better served by sharing their experience rather than finding themselves offended by a relatively commonly used term, nowadays.
    Meh. Can you tell if a person is a "noob" by there setup. Yes or No? Does this imply a degree of snobbery?

Discuss.

It's a forum. I think folks should realise its a place to have a discussion.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainm View Post
    Meh. Can you tell if a person is a "noob" by there setup. Yes or No? Does this imply a degree of snobbery?

Discuss.

It's a forum. I think folks should realise its a place to have a discussion.
    OK...the kid who got me interested in the idea of hammock camping. Complained when we were tent camping, had a storm coming in hard and had to select a site and setup with a quickness...because there wasn't any place to put up his hammock.

Had a barebones, $20 walmart hammock, no tarp, no under-insulation, no tree straps, and no idea on what he was going to experience that night had he set that hammock up.

Yes...even then, before I owned anything hammock related...I knew he was a "noob" by looking at his LACK of gear and/or preperation.

By the same token...my first trip out hammock camping, I had a complete setup, as did my son. I WAS a "hammock noob"...but my gear choices didn't reflect my lack of experience because I was wise enough to do some research prior to making my purchases. I don't think anyone looking at what gear I had at the time would have guessed I was a 'noob'.

So...sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Just FYI.
    If you type "hammock noob" into google, Shug's face is right on top, front and center.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Just FYI.
    If you type "hammock noob" into google, Shug's face is right on top, front and center.
    ROFLMBO!!! Just verified this myself...PapaSmurf is right!!! First pic to come up was Shug!

Too funny...as he's been helping us "noobs" out for a long time!!!!

Hat's off too ya, Shug!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainm View Post
    I couldn't have put it better myself. But in the context it was used it was definitely a 'sneer'.

Anyhow.
    Yes, I called the Kammok a noob setup.

First of all, you seem to have appointed yourself sole judge and jury of my motives when I wrote something in response to the Kammok topic. You accused me of making noob jibes, when I was addressing the product, not the person. In Aristotelian logic, this is called an ad hominem attack - attack the person, not the argument. That's way off base on this forum. And you're still stating things like "definitely a sneer." Stick to discussion of hammocks and you'll be fine, rather than appointing yourself supreme judge of sneers or what your perceive to be holier-than-thou attitudes.

I appreciate your making do, but that gives you no right to hold in contempt those who don't subscribe to "gathered end blankets" and "camping store specials." You like people with one hammock better than people with ten hammocks? Keep it to yourself.

This is a diverse forum with everything from car campers who don't care about weight to UL hikers, from people operating on a limited budget to people for whom money is no object. I have all those setups - I have tried doing it on a budget, and I have also splurged on more expensive stuff. I have $12 tablecloth hammocks, and I have more expensive stuff. I have a $19.99 Guide Gear tarp and I have a $400 cuben fiber tarp. It would never occur to me to "look at the equipment someone is using and judge them for it." I was once a noob operating on a limited budget.

I also never heard there's a difference between newb and noob. That's a level of subtlety that evades most of us, I think.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Just FYI.
    Finally some progress in this thread.

Yes. Yes you can......but mostly it's attitude and skill set, and there is more than one would think.

It's sort of like playing the Mt Dulcimer. Pretty easy instrument to make, tune and play.

A bit more difficult to play well
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies

back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Yes, I called the Kammok a noob setup.

First of all, you seem to have appointed yourself sole judge and jury of my motives when I wrote something in response to the Kammok topic. You accused me of making noob jibes, when I was addressing the product, not the person. In Aristotelian logic, this is called an ad hominem attack - attack the person, not the argument. That's way off base on this forum. And you're still stating things like "definitely a sneer." Stick to discussion of hammocks and you'll be fine, rather than appointing yourself supreme judge of sneers or what your perceive to be holier-than-thou attitudes.

I appreciate your making do, but that gives you no right to hold in contempt those who don't subscribe to "gathered end blankets" and "camping store specials." You like people with one hammock better than people with ten hammocks? Keep it to yourself.

This is a diverse forum with everything from car campers who don't care about weight to UL hikers, from people operating on a limited budget to people for whom money is no object. I have all those setups - I have tried doing it on a budget, and I have also splurged on more expensive stuff. I have $12 tablecloth hammocks, and I have more expensive stuff. I have a $19.99 Guide Gear tarp and I have a $400 cuben fiber tarp. It would never occur to me to "look at the equipment someone is using and judge them for it." I was once a noob operating on a limited budget.

I also never heard there's a difference between newb and noob. That's a level of subtlety that evades most of us, I think.
    You're way off base and missing the point. But I appreciate your input. You clearly stated that the kammock was a "noob setup" this implies there is some hierarchy that equates experience to equipment does it not?

I have merely opened this up to discussion. If you take umbrage to this then here's your opportunity to discuss the subject further. I am not supreme judge, but, I am as entitled to an opinion as you are.

Btw I'm not making do at all. I made an Srl, my own homemade whoopies and soft shackles. I have a cocoon and an extremely comfortable mass produced hammock.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I was trying to think of a way to tell a newb or noob from an experienced person. What I keep coming back to is there are two kinds of folks. Those who improve their skills so that everything looks easy and know why and those who never do. It is technique more than equipment. More to the point it is knowing how to get the job done with whatever equipment is available. I guess some folks are perpetual noobs as they see no reason to get better at it.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Images
    Well I consider myself a hammock "noob" or "newb", whichever you prefer. It just means I am open to learning how this all works, from what others have done on this forum and forming my own opinion from experience. It doesn't mean I am going to go expensive or do what everyone else does. We all have a brain - just some us more than others .

Sometimes people take this stuff all too seriously. We are after all just laying on a piece of thin material between a couple of trees - that's fun but it ain't rocket science.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    I know the thread this came from and I thought the noob comments were out of place. OTOH the idea that there is no skill or learning curve is also. Aside from all the other skills one learns that are independent of the hammock there are a lot of little things one learns just to have a comfortable setup by their standards.....
    I would disagree that it was out of place. I am a Rookie/Newb/Noob. I did A LOT of research before making my first hammock purchase. My path lead me here and the lion's share of my ongoing research has been sifting through the goldmine that is the forum. A "typical" noob/newb setup will be changed/upgraded/evolve as lessons are learned and the wallet/spouse approve. In my case. I don't see a whole lot of change happening, hammock-wise...I do see a need to ditch my old ALICE pack for something lighter/newer/better. I also am looking into replacing my bed in the house (not a task for the BB). For my kids I did choose an "entry level" set up -a Hennessy Scout side zip. My son, Woogie, could not be happier. His older sisters... eh, not so much. I bought it (with their input) knowing it was going to be temporary at best. It will give them an opportunity to see if hanging is actually for them. OTOH, the price was right and it was here with free 2 day shipping. (instant gratification can be a good thing!) Woogie was just as thrilled opening his hammock as I was unboxing my Blackbird! I am looking forward to having his sisters try it out (at sharp stick point- if necessary ) and seeing in which direction they decide to go.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast