WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web

Been Recruited

So huge change of plans for the summer my two week trip just became a 3 month adventure. Was hanging around the local outfitters today celebrating my birthday just the way I wanted, oogling gear. While standing there I was recruited to test some gear on a long hike. Figuring 2 weeks wasn't enough time for an accurate test, I agreed to ask the Mrs. if I could go for the summer. So gave the head of house a call and she said to go for it, gotta love that woman. So starting May 18th I'll be going North on the AT until August 15th. Leaving from Damascus and figuring to cover somewhere around 800 miles. Will be rocking gear I've never used before, picking up a couple weeks early to get a few weeks out with it. Probably working on some gear revisions of my own along the way, mostly fumbling with different filter setups. Depending on what I'm to test, I may not be hanging.
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    If I could hike for 3 months I sort of think I would (Gasp!) sleep on the ground for the priveledge.

But I would complain about it,,,,, ALOT!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Didn't you say something the other day about going back to ground anyway?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Yeah I was until a very good wife of mine made me a 10oz hammock for my birthday today. Awoke to crying baby and a few new toys. With my Spinntex MacCat Standard also a Bday present with 2 Camp Nano Biners. I was planning on hanging again. May even take the 10oz hammock just to hang around in at camp if I end up testing a tent.

Most likely looking like I'll be humping a Osprey Exos even though I really want to give ULAs panel loader a long haul test.

My WM summerlite, a Zelph Stove Works Cobalt. Some sort of Ti pot no larger than .5 liter. Some sort of filter at all times, most likely going to be a mantage of Cascade design stuff I piece together. Some sort of shelter most likely a MSR Hubba HP, if not I'll be hammocking the whole way. Golite and ULA mix of raingear. TerraMar underclothes and other random assortments of gear. Looking to clarify gear list as soon as pack arrives and I can see what fits and what works. Will be on TrailJournals soon. ATTROLL when are you hitting the trail? Hopefully I'll see you at traildays or in VA somewhere, Karl had already passed through town as had Trek.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Didn't you say something the other day about going back to ground anyway?
    BLASPHEMY!!

Well, I'm sure he said it "just in passing".

When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I actually carry a little more weight in my pack now than I did when I was a groundling. If you ask me, the comfort factor is well worth any weight offset. Does lightweight have it's place? Sure it does. But I'd rather be comfortable off the ground any day of the week, even if it meant shaving a few precious ounces off my pack weight. I wouldn't even consider a tent or other ground shelter for a second.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    left dbl layer 1.1 BlackBird
    Tarp
    Adventuring Tarp
    Insulation
    KaroStep 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopies & biners
    Images
    Wrongturn, sounds like a great old adventure eh. How does one get involved with gear testing anyway? Do you know some insiders in the companys?

Cheers
    Hitch

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Not insider connections. Rather I've spent a fortune on gear from a select few outfitters. They were looking for someone to try out a few new prototype pieces from some of their suppliers. Basically you can hire all the pro guys to try your gear, but average joe may have a very different opinion. I'm going to be average joe this summer.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Lucky DOG!

Man are you the lucky one!! You will be the envy of many here. I cant wait to see what your gear list is.

What fabric did she use to make your 10oz hammock? Also, I thought you sold that WM summerlite. Sounds like you are going to be walkin light no matter what!

Adam

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    1.9 single layer actually. She had my grandmother help her, sewing for 60+years. The WM was spoken for but backed out last minute over length of bag. Decided just to keep it even though my shoulder are a wee bit to broad to fit really well. We'll see how far I get, I figure atleast should make it through VA,MD, and some of PA.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast