Tarp
    Blue monster from
    Insulation
    SOON im cold
    Suspension
    woopies and hugs

college station bryan area

Hi Guys

This is probably not the best place for this but I figured this was a more regional question then General.

Not my area of the US. I will be interviewing at Texas A&M shortly for a position. So I was wondering what advice about the area people could offer in general. Surrounding areas too.
    I have wife and 4 kids so all info is welcome.

Thanks

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Not sure exactly what you are wanting to know, but IT'S HOT! Be sure and take measures to stay cool. You won't be too far from the Sam Houston National Forrest area. The Lone Star Hiking Trail is there. It's a pretty flat trail, but some nice country all the same.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    ENO doublenest, and DIY
    Tarp
    Blue monster from
    Insulation
    SOON im cold
    Suspension
    woopies and hugs
    Thanks Caveman. You are right I should be a little more specific.
    What is the whole area like?
    Are people nice
    How are schools
    What is there to do

Stuff like that. If we are considering moving there I would like input on the area as a place to live.

Thanks

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    People here are pretty friendly (for the most part). I've lived here my whole life, so I don't really know any different, but I've talked to friends that have moved here that said it took a while to get used to people actually talking to each other. Do be freaked out if someone says hello at the gas station or in the line at the grocery store.

Being that A&M has one of the few Vet programs around, you will probably have quite a diverse bunch. You won't be too far from Austin, so you will have plenty to keep you busy.

I'm sure some others will chime in, but I like it here just fine. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Uncle MJM lives in College Station. He's your guy.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Oh, one thing: College Station ain't Boulder, Madison, or Berkley.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Caveman meant "do NOT be freaked out". People in Texas are very friendly. I lived all over growing up (military brat). texas people are among the nicest. It is a LARGE state, very diverse. Mountains, deserts, piney woods, beaches. Trick is, EVERYTHING takes a while to get to, due to size. Like, from Texarkana Texas, to El Paso, is 900 miles. a LONG day's drive. Bryan-College Station, I've got no real knowledge of. That area has some deep history (Texas Land Grant, Spanish influence). It is big college town, so diverse. Suggest you pick up some used Texas Highway's magazines for tons of information about the state "to do".
    Oh, and we also tell all the rude people "Yep, everything in Texas sticks, stings, bites. Trantulas, rattle snakes, brown recluse spiders, black widows, scorpions are considered pets. We have two seasons, January and Summer. The BBQ is terrible. There are oil and gas wells everywhere. you might wake up one morning and some driller is drilling a new well in your driveway. The average IQ is 86. Everyone carries a gun. We all know aliens are real, we just call them the Marfa Lights." I could go on, but you get the point.....
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Oh, one thing: College Station ain't Boulder, Madison, or Berkley.
    It is FOOTBALL and the Aggie's. talk about traditions.....
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    ENO doublenest, and DIY
    Tarp
    Blue monster from
    Insulation
    SOON im cold
    Suspension
    woopies and hugs
    Thanks Guys for the input. Keep opinions coming good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Oh, and we also tell all the rude people "Yep, everything in Texas sticks, stings, bites. Trantulas, rattle snakes, brown recluse spiders, black widows, scorpions are considered pets. We have two seasons, January and Summer. The BBQ is terrible. There are oil and gas wells everywhere. you might wake up one morning and some driller is drilling a new well in your driveway. The average IQ is 86. Everyone carries a gun. We all know aliens are real, we just call them the Marfa Lights." I could go on, but you get the point.....
    Sounds like our kind of place kids can have more pets, and we may not be the dumbest ones on the block anymore

I will probably be down in July for an interview, they are still trying to get everything lined up. So I will get to experience the heat and compare it to here and Florida where we used to live.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Well.... just come down on the weekend of the 19th and you can come by the ButtBake. (although I'm not sure that will leave you with the best impression)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast