I'm switching over from tent camping to hammock camping for my yearly section hike of the AT. I'm going from NY to southern VT. Start date s July 4th weekend. I am getting concerned over keeping warm enough in VT if this summer in VT is as wet and chilly as last summer.
Been clearing out the gear closet, On hand I have:
- A HH hyperlite hammock, ( hammock fabric--30D high tenacity, high thread count nylon taffeta with heavy duty ripstop; fly (canopy) fabric--1.1 ounce 30 D silicone nylon )
- Hennessy stock Asym Tarp
- A Thermarest Z Lite regular (To be cut into one section of 6 segments , and one section of 4, to fit as the support for my frameless backpack) with two extra section I could use for wings...
- A new roll of Reflectix BP24010 24"x10' Foil Insulation (which I had actually bought to make cooking pot cozies out of, and HVAC tape for the Reflectix
- A Mountain Hardwear Lamina 35 degree (Regular) synthetic sleeping bag.
- A Gossamer Gear sit pad (but no where to store easily)
- silicone caulk and mineral spirits
- A ten pack of space blankets.
- I can pick up some scrap Tyvek from some buddies.
- can pick up a wallyworld CCF pad.
TO increase difficulty level, I don't even have the hammock yet, it's in transit.
Am I pushing my luck if I get unlucky with low 40's night temps and multiple days of scattered showers at 1000+ foot elevations for 3 to 5 days?
I don't have time to experiment and I don't have a way to sleep at low temps before I hit the trail.
What is a proven system for using what I have on hand, with buying as little extra as possible... and adding as little weight as possible?
I'm reading through the old threads on the forum but don't have time to start DIY hacking apart reflectix, ccf pads, car visors etc to test this before I leave.
SO I'm looking for a know solution...
My thoughts right now:
Keep the ZLite , cut into section of 6, and a section of 4.
Buy velcro tape
Add loop velcro to back of Zlite
Add hook velcro to bubble side of reflectix (bubble side up)
Add silicone caulk and mineral spirits to ZLite to prevent sliding
Set up the Zlite and Reflectix in a T shape, to create wings.
One last thing, how do people keep multiple ccfs together if they are NOT overlapping ?