How much amsteel? Whoopie sling or other?

Good Afternoon,
    I am trying to price out the cost effectiveness of building a portable hammock stand vs buying something like the handy hammock(or heavier store bought stands).

I will be following Alamosa's general design and I need to know how much amsteel to purchase.
    I will link up a sketch that I've created, along with a screenshot of the ultimate hang calculator & whoopie sling excel calculator.

I definitely want to use 3 boom stakes/guy lines per pole, along with a foot anchor rope and centerline. I was originally thinking of making whoopie slings for at least the guy lines. After my calculations, it appears that I will need 180+ ft' of amsteel!?!
    -6 guy lines. 8.5ft(Pythagorean theorem) long to match 45 degree angles & 6ft support poles. Using whoopie slings I'll need 20ft(per excel calculator) of rope for each. 120' here.
    -14' for a center line, with a foot of play to knot, brummel or other.
    -Plus the foot end of the pole back out to the anchor...6 x 7' = 36'
    -A ridgeline would set me back another 8' or so.

The first way that I could reduce the total cost would be to eliminate the whoopie slings. What would be a good alternative? I assume that will bring me closer to the 100' mark.

Please look at the sketch & screenshots to let me know where I can improve the design. I'll be heading to West Marine tomorrow & Lowe's on Friday.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Check out the Turtledog stand. It seems way less complicated than the stand you have in mind.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    The Diagonals on Alamosas design don't need to be whoopies. You can just make fixed lengths for those and just use any old length of whoopy for the tensioner. You can link a short whoopy to another fixed length link to get the tensioner farther away from your pole. Going by standard whoopy math, if you wanted 6 foot of whoopy you'll need 12 foot of cord, twice for both sides so 24 foot. Then 4 lengths of say 8 foot or 32 feet. 60 feet of Amsteel for the posts. Let your hammok be the center suspension.

The only problem with Amsteel is HOW do you stop at just 60 feet. That stuff is like Twizzlers. Not that hard ones but the fresh right outta the factory ones that you've microwaved about 10 seconds to get them warm. Soft and Strawberry and and, excuse me I've someplace I've gotta go.

Anyways, it's hard to ever have too much of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    The Diagonals on Alamosas design don't need to be whoopies. You can just make fixed lengths for those and just use any old length of whoopy for the tensioner. You can link a short whoopy to another fixed length link to get the tensioner farther away from your pole. Going by standard whoopy math, if you wanted 6 foot of whoopy you'll need 12 foot of cord, twice for both sides so 24 foot. Then 4 lengths of say 8 foot or 32 feet. 60 feet of Amsteel for the posts. Let your hammok be the center suspension.

The only problem with Amsteel is HOW do you stop at just 60 feet. That stuff is like Twizzlers. Not that hard ones but the fresh right outta the factory ones that you've microwaved about 10 seconds to get them warm. Soft and Strawberry and and, excuse me I've someplace I've gotta go.

Anyways, it's hard to ever have too much of it.
    Knocking it down to 4 stakes would definitely save me some rope. I was thinking 6 as I have the two person ENO. That'd be an extra 24 feet.

Which part is the tensioner. The length from the stake to the foot of the pole? That is what I'm picturing. Unfortunately I have no amsteel or whoopies laying around so I'm starting from scratch on everything.

I think I could live with 84 feet as that should keep me around $20. That would be fantastic!

I look forward to some more replies...and thanks again

(Also, I'm looking into the turtle dog stand. I love Alamosa's design, I just feel overwhelmed)

• + New Posts