Quote Originally Posted by guySmiley View Post
I've been wondering the same thing, but I'm fairly certain that the it's a lighter weight fabric choice.
Hey all,

My SpinnUL is a polyester (I believe) spinnaker weave with a proprietary silicone impregnation, has a few major advantages over silnylon - most importantly a greater weight savings as well as zero stretch, so the tarp does not really require tensioners. The main disadvantage is the cost, as it is significantly more expensive than silnylon. It does however have excellent waterproof characteristics, and is durable enough for most backpacking use, especially in tarp use. It really is a great fabric for use where a high performance, low weight fabric is needed, and a pleasure to work with and sew.

And as for a Micro out of SpinnUL - the main problem with this lies in the width of the fabric, as it's only about 55" wide as opposed to the usual 65" width of silnylon. I can make a seamed version (which would still be lighter), but it would be pretty expensive (~$115) mainly due to the fabric costs and lots of waste from cutting the tarp. But it would, however probably be in the 5.5-6 oz range for total weight after seam sealing. The Standard in SpinnUL 8.0-8.2 oz including stuff sack and seam sealing, so you're getting down to pretty light stuff at that point...