Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Wilson creek my old stomping grounds. There are two many trails to name and lots of adventure to be had. Jumping off rocks and swimming the gorge area above brown mountain beach. Or hike down to hunt fish falls on lost cove creek a feeder stream to Wilson beautiful area large deep pool right at bottom of trail. Easy walk in steep walk out but worth it take plenty of water. Harpers creek has a upper and lower waterfalls. Lots of other feeder streams to explore. I have fly fished every inch of every creek that feeds from the gorge all the way until they are pretty much dry at the top of grandfather mountain. When I was younger I would spend many long weekends in there camping and fishing with dad. What a great place and lots of memories there. There is a formal type camp area at Mortimer if you want bath rooms and such. Nice central area to work out of.

Jason

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    ho lee smokes! This is a beautiful area! It was so exciting being there this weekend! It was pouring rain as we got out of the car at The Little Lost Cove Cliffs trailhead. We hiked through 4-6" of runnning water on the trail, most of the way. We went over the mountain on the Little Lost Cove trail, then down the N. Harper Creek Falls trail. It finally stopped raining after flooded creek crossing # 3, so we set up camp. Lot's of rain overnight, then beautiful all day Sunday. We broke camp and played around on the cascades, then it started to pour again for our entire hike out, too! Barely made it out, as Brown Mtn. Beach Rd was flooded out, Hwy 90 was nearly flooded out, we drove over a few dodgy looking spots. I heard 90 was shut down shortly after we made our way out! Whoo, buddy!!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle the Camper View Post
    ho lee smokes! This is a beautiful area!
    Thanks for the report. Glad to hear you enjoyed it even with all the rain. I'm sure the creeks were flowing good!
    It was a coin toss if I was going there this past weekend as well. I opted for elsewhere and deciding to save this place for warmer and less wet weather.

Hammock
    HH Deluxe/ DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HH Hex/ WB Superfl
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Info on Wilson Creek (near Blowing Rock NC)

I too opted out on going here this weekend..... Those streams can be a real booger when there's a lot if rain. Instead caught up on some TATO Gear work I've been putting off and caught a movie with the wife and my son.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Offering fine and unique outdoor products for the serious hiker and hammocker.
    Available at the following retailers:Tier Gear, Dutchware

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle the Camper View Post
    ho lee smokes! This is a beautiful area! It was so exciting being there this weekend! It was pouring rain as we got out of the car at The Little Lost Cove Cliffs trailhead. We hiked through 4-6" of runnning water on the trail, most of the way. We went over the mountain on the Little Lost Cove trail, then down the N. Harper Creek Falls trail. It finally stopped raining after flooded creek crossing # 3, so we set up camp. Lot's of rain overnight, then beautiful all day Sunday. We broke camp and played around on the cascades, then it started to pour again for our entire hike out, too! Barely made it out, as Brown Mtn. Beach Rd was flooded out, Hwy 90 was nearly flooded out, we drove over a few dodgy looking spots. I heard 90 was shut down shortly after we made our way out! Whoo, buddy!!
    Wow, you picked a hell of a weekend to visit my stomping grounds! Collettsville got hit with a microburst, got an insane amount of rain and hail in a short time, causing landslides and flood damage. It is a great place, with something for everyone.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    TallPaul, I recommend stopping by the visitor center on Brown Mountain Beach Rd, and picking up a map there. Excellent hiking throughout, depending on what you want to get into. As mentioned, Hunt Fish and Harper Falls make excellent swimming holes for jumping in, and the gorge section is worthy of a visit (although very crowded on nice weekends). The hike Michelle did is particularly nice, with great views off the Little Lost Cove Cliffs.

N harper falls:

View from LLCC:
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Nice photos. I talked to a young guy who works for my company last week who told me he kayaked down N. Harper Falls during a flood stage. Crazy!!

Images
    What map should I (can I) order online? I want to take a looks and maybe go this fall.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    What map should I (can I) order online? I want to take a looks and maybe go this fall.
    http://theforeststore.com/product/wi...r-trail-guide/
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien, SLD
    Tarp
    HG Journey & Quest
    Insulation
    HG, WL, AHE
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My 9 yr old and I went twice last summer to that area & he has not stopped talking about it or pestering me to go back. He loved playing in the water and the hikes were not bad at all. We parked at lost cove trailhead and started east. followed that down and around to then climb bee mtn. And pick up timber ridge trail background to car. Awesome weekend.
    Dave Krehl
    Dave Krehl Photography
    www.davekrehphoto.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast