Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°

Configuring a Burrow

I love my 20° Incubator, and I've only just started really getting to grips with rigging it for maximum warmth. There's never really been a question for me that my next purchase will be a Burrow.

It will replace an old Kathmandu sleeping bag that is rated as follows: limit of -10° C (14° F), and a 'comfort' rating of more like -2° C (28° F). It's 700 loft duck down as opposed to the HG 900 goose down. It's been a pretty good workhorse, but I was staggered to discover I could save about a kilogram (2.2 lb) of pack weight by switching to a dedicated top quilt. Sold!

My dilemma is, I'm not completely certain whether to opt for the 0° version. On my recent winter trip out the sleeping bag opened (except for the feet) was insufficient on the colder nights, but fine if I put the whole thing on and zipped it up completely. I guess it just creates a tighter envelope, even if the layer underneath you is compressed and not too useful. This is on frosty nights, but with no actual snow on the ground, and not too much wind chill. It's probably going to be unusual for me to be hanging in snowy conditions.

I can't really afford a quilt for every season. At least, not yet! I'm starting to think getting the 20° F version with 2 ounces of overstuff would be a good compromise... an improvement on what I have, but not so insanely hot that I can't use it with the snaps open on warmer nights?

Also, I'm right in thinking that if I have to go to ground, a Burrow + pad is fairly equivalent to a similarly rated sleeping bag + pad? For us taller blokes, is it worth asking for one or two snaps higher up on the quilt to help keep the edges in?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The 20* Burrow with a couple oz. of overstuff sounds ideal for you. I prefer the sewn footbox myself, but I don't share your "what if I have to go ground?" criteria. If I have to go to ground, I'm going home!

The 0* Burrow is just not as versatile for all seasons. You can always supplement top insulation with a fleece blanket if it's colder, but you can't take down out if it's hotter.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I would agree with this. If I were to go with one, it would be the 20 degree version. It is easier to supplement with more than to try to ventilate until it is "just right." Good luck with it. I am looking forward to springing for more downy goodness myself.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Yeah I think you're right. And I always seem to have this instinct to try to get the 'best' protection, as if my brain is telling me I might be stumbling into a blizzard sometime soon! Far easier to add warmth than to try to sleep in an oven. 20° with a bit of overstuff it is.

Now to wait for payday. Again...

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Basie View Post
    Now to wait for payday. Again...
    With this forum you will always be waiting for payday to buy the next gadget or gizmo.

• + New Posts