Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NewGuy Question

NewGuy Question

Looking for a hammock system to use for back country elk hunting during Sept. The weather is usually pretty mild anywhere from about 30 degrees up to 100 degrees. I am a runt about 5'7' 155 lbs and I am looking for advice on my first setup.

Honestly I never knew picking a hammock and accessories could seem like such a daunting task and as such I am leaning towards a completely ready setup like a Clark North American. I want to have skeeter protection, storage/insulation pockets, the ability to lay a pad down like maybe the reflective Hennesey pad, moisture cover preferably something that is big enough to use as shelter for other items like backpacks and bows etc. and is a pretty easy set up.

I am leaning towards a ready to go unit like Clark sells because I wouldnt know where to start to piece the stuff together. I have no sewing skills so making my own stuff is probably not feasible. I am going to sound like a cheap skate but could I piece some quality stuff together for less than the $450.00 or so I would spend on a Clark setup or are there other setups from other companies that are comparable but maybe a little less money? I don't mind spending the money for the right gear as long as it is quality stuff and not overpriced because it is a well known package set up.

Any reccomendations for other Hammock setups that would be similar to the Clark? Also I would like to hear your opinions on the Clark North American or NX-150 Hammocks.

Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Hey, OD09, Welcome to the board.
    You are likely to get many recommendations.
    I use the Warbonnet double layer Blackbird, either 1.1 or 1.7 weight.
    They have bug net integrated that can be rolled back if not needed.
    You could easily use ccf pads for underside insulation given your temp range. You could also get a Superfly Tarp to match.
    The WBBB has a storage pocket that is plenty big for everything I have ever needed it to hold.
    The Superfly tarp is plenty big to hold all your gear. I don't have a superfly tarp as I have gone to a cuben fiber tarp for my old creaky knees.

I have never used any Clark products, but a lot of folks swear by them.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    H Expedition, WBBB
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    Images
    Buddy of mine just got a Clark (it was older, not sure of the model), the pockets were pretty sweet. I put his riding (motorcycle) gear in the pockets and some empty plastic bottles...and he said he was fine down to 50 degrees the night we camped last weekend.

Looked like a nice rig, I know Clark's are expensive but after you piece together everything separate I just don't know how it would compare. There are a lot of more experienced hangers on here who may be better suited to give you advice...but from what I have seen the Clark is a nice rig.

What do you guys think about about starting with an Eno single or double nest as a base then adding to it?
    It would not have the accessory/insulation pouches and I would have to add netting and tarp etc.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I take my rig hunting. Tends to be a lot colder here in the mountains. 20* under quilt & 0* top quilt. Also need the tarp for wind & rain. Later in the year, I bring the sock instead of the bug net.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    You can get a hammock and tarp with Warbonnet under that budget. Wether you get a blackbird that has an integrated bugnet or a gathered end traveler and a seperate bugnet you can't go wrong. IMO a superfly is a much better tarp choice compared to what you would get with a clark setup. Double traveler with bugnet + superfly = 270. WBBB double + superfly = 305. The WBBB has the head/foot box and shelf, the traveler offers a "no net ability". The prices are for double layer because you said you liked to have the option to use a pad. Prices are less for single layer. You could do an ENO instead of the traveler but still get the WB net. I have both the ENO guardian and the WB net and prefer the WB. The only thing you are left to piece together is guy lines and a ridgeline for the tarp. Well stakes too.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    I take my rig hunting. Tends to be a lot colder here in the mountains. 20* under quilt & 0* top quilt. Also need the tarp for wind & rain. Later in the year, I bring the sock instead of the bug net.

What tarp is that I like how well it covers. I elk hunt N. Idaho but it is usually pretty warm when we are there in archery season which runs the month of Sept. We usually go for 11 days at the end of the month. Temps are usually down in the 30-40's at night but sometimes can be 100 during the day. Consistent rain is a bigger concern for me than how cold it gets. I have spent some trips almost constantly in heavy rain with occasional let ups.

Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    You can get a hammock and tarp with Warbonnet under that budget. Wether you get a blackbird that has an integrated bugnet or a gathered end traveler and a seperate bugnet you can't go wrong. IMO a superfly is a much better tarp choice compared to what you would get with a clark setup. Double traveler with bugnet + superfly = 270. WBBB double + superfly = 305. The WBBB has the head/foot box and shelf, the traveler offers a "no net ability". The prices are for double layer because you said you liked to have the option to use a pad. Prices are less for single layer. You could do an ENO instead of the traveler but still get the WB net. I have both the ENO guardian and the WB net and prefer the WB. The only thing you are left to piece together is guy lines and a ridgeline for the tarp. Well stakes too.
    Thanks for the great info.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    I'm a noob waiting on my first hammock to be delivered. After extensive research and getting to play with a Hennessey Hammock for a short time I decided to go with the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 Double Layer and a Superfly Tarp. The XLC has a detachable bug net and cover that can be used as needed. I ordered the Superfly Tarp because when living in south Louisiana the afternoon storms can be sudden and fierce and this tarp closes up completely to keep out the wind blown rain out. It will take about a month to deliver the Hammocks as I understand he hand makes them and is a one man show which is fine with me, much to hot to camp down here for another month or 2 anyway.

Some thoughts on the Hennessey Hammock Explorer.
    Very well built and pretty comfortable though I thought it could have been bigger I'm 6' about 180lbs and it felt a little cramped but not too bad. I really liked the Hennessey entrance from the bottom with the Velcro closure. I can see how it can be bug proof.

I was looking to sleep better and the WBBB XLC looks roomier than the HH. The WBBB I paid about 400 for the tarp and the hammock (maybe a little less). And I think HH will be a bit cheaper around 150 - 250 Depending on your size but you may want to upgrade the small diamond tarp the HH comes with for something a little bigger.

Now this is just a basic setup and they tell me it will work down to about 60 degrees and then you have to get some insulation. I am going to use my old 20 degree sleeping bag and buy an under-quilt from kick-*** quilts for about 160 this fall when the weather changes. Another option, though they say its not as comfortable but way cheaper, is to use the Wally World sleeping pads as your bottom insulation. Alternatively you could opt to spend 500 or more on a new down under-quilt and top-quilt if you chose to.

Well that information is all been gathered from studying and reading online articles watching Shug's u-tube video's (thanks Shug their great and very helpful) and reading the threads on this forum. I have no real world experience yet to contribute so I hope this helps... If it doesn't go watch Shug's u-tube videos, Their entertaining and have a lot of good information. They are pretty easy to find just type Shug into u-tube search (or google search) and it will come right up (or i'm sure one of the more experienced members, that know how to post links, will put a link to his videos soon).

Good Luck

Hammock
    DH RoamingGnome
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    ALL HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You could also get a complete setup from Hennessy Hammocks for under $300. A little more for the HEX fly. I use a Hennessey and love it. I can't speak to it but I get the feeling more people on here prefer the warbonnet blackbird.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast