Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
The main thing about moments notice is the idea that I might be a fore runner. Depending on where the event is, I may be sent in for initial assessment/to secure resources and a location for our base camp. In those scenarios minutes are worth gold. If I'm at home when the call comes, it's easy peasy. If I'm a few hours from home doing trainings etc, I might have to leave from my current location...so my bag comes with me. It is a little huge...lol. I've learned a lot from gram counters, but my pack runs 50-65 easy.
Over the weekend I tried packing my quilts loose under my hammock in a compactor bag and it seemed to work really well, with no loss of loft that I could perceive. I don't know if its a good long term solution though.
Okay, cool, but are you required to carry all your gear to that location on your back or are you able to drive up to it? I guess what I am getting at, is a nice light duffel that would allow you to loosely store your down separate from the rest of your gear in the back of your car would work perfectly if you are driving up to the location. If you have to carry it and are required to deploy in minutes. I would consider it a legitimate work expense, store it in a pack and replace as necessary, then deduct the cost from your taxes.