Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps

Thoughts on the new HG UQ suspension system?

I read the little blurb on the HG site describing why they decided to modify their original system. It would be great if anyone who has used the new HG UQ suspension system would tell us how well it achieves its objective - making it fit better.

Thankee.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL Lefty
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG20*3/4UQ-EE30*TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The original suspension ran from the head end to the foot end continuous through a channel; the new suspension runs from the corners to the ends and is a lighter shock cord.

I set my hammock up with both UQ suspension systems, having roughly equal tension. I immediately noticed the continuous length running across my forehead. After about an hour of not being able to get comfortable with this pressure on my face, I got up and untied the original suspension, adjusted the up the new suspension and have not regretted it.

Also original suspension allowed the UQ to slide head to toe on the channels, whereas the new is independently adjustable at the corners. Different way to adjust.

I thought I would have preferred the original system, thinking it would have given a better "seal" on the sides, but I have not had any trouble with the sides not having enough tension with the new suspension.

In short it's nice they give you the option of trying out both suspension systems and using whichever you prefer.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I had the original suspension and then sent it back for the secondary suspension. It does keep the UQ more snugly against you. I stayed warm down to 3 degrees this January.

Hammock
    BIAS, WB
    I have the old suspension and am sending it in for the new version next week. I can already see a few advantages to the newer one. Better placement and less adjustment once you set it the way you like. I'll post when I get my new suspension.

Images
    I've only known the new way. Having said that, in my inagural hang with the Incubator I simply hooked the s-biner to suspension at head and foot and adjusted the ends to be snug. I have a HH so I used the rings on the side of the incubator and ran the hammock tieouts through there to keep the UQ from sliding either direction. Could not have been happier with the set up or the warmth I had that night. Might have gotten it a little too snug at the head as I had a smig of shoulder squeeze but I attributed that to a sloppy long distance hang angle. Didn't bother to check either so I guess I slept well enough.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Too easy to be too adaptive

IMNSHO, that's the issue with most of these suspensions. Why? They are niche products, many of them sold to folks like us on HF who have multiple UQs for more than one hammock and maybe UQs from more than one maker. UQ makers and users want use to be as easy as putting a book on a shelf.

So, the first-cut, clip-it-up-to-the-ends-of-any-hammock would work with any hammock....... and then fail to always keep us warm, in different ways under different hmmks.

I appreciate that HG and others keep trying to optimize the experience across the broadest array of potential fails. Sliding on rails-in-channels in a couple of generations of these was further adaptability, on the fly.

Now, I'm partial to Leighlo's last method, in which the corners are assigned to a separate "triangle thingy"-like triangle of cord which pulls the the corners up as much as out toward the hmmk ends. The attachments to the corners are with easily adjustable cord-locks.

Except........my what a gaggle of thin cords hanging, straggling, and sometimes getting stepped on. Messy, no matter how high-zoot the cords are, or whatever their colors.

So: Best solution, but for the issue of moving different UQs to different hmmks you own: Sew buttons, clips, swag, or <1g quick-release nylox buckle halves to your hammocks and UQs, and cut most of the cords. The UQs will mount neater, and pack up neater.

For flexibility and adjustment: Duplicates, a few inches apart, for your different UQs, or put the halves of the buckles on SHORT ( <10" should do) cords attached to cord-locks for tightening.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 06-24-2013 at 17:07.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL - Tadpole
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    interesting ... sub'd for more info

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE &amp; Tre Strp
    i have used the new method on my diy hammock and love the fit. easily adjustable under quilt doesnt slide around. just a bit of fiddle factor. i love it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    Thanks, everyone. That's really great info.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Hammock
    Wilderness logics Hammock
    Tarp
    Hammock cuben tarp
    Insulation
    phoenix 20 degree
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings,

Exclamation New Suspension

Just go my custom 30 degree, Dri down, m50 out shell phoenix from Hammock Gear. The quality and workmanship can't be beat, but the new suspension does make a difference by eliminating the sag. You snug the Stromcrow suspension up, then adjust the end around the draft collars and it does make a Diffence.
    Hammock Gear the only way fordown Quilts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast