Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Do I need a pad [newbie]?

I am planning a NOBO thru-hike of the AT starting next spring. I am new to hammock camping and want to buy my gear now so I can get accustomed to it this summer. I am leaning toward a Warbonnet but I have not figured out insulation. I'm thinking there may be times when I want to stay in a shelter (in fact I hear you have to in parts of the Smokies) and I would like some sort of pad, but it sounds like ground pads and hanging don't mix too well. Any suggestions of a setup that will give me both a warm hang and a ground setup for the occasional shelter night?

Hammock
    HH Exped / DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Etowah 10X10
    Insulation
    JRB Grey3/HR
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Well I have been hanging for 4 years now and still use a pad.
    I use a 3/4 length Thermarest 1 inch pad partially filled when in the hammock. I also got a set of wings from Eagles Nest for the shoulders. This way when I want to sleep on the ground (Don't know why I ever do) I have the pad there.

I know some people have gotten underquilts and carry a Zlite pad just for shelters and sitting on. All depends on how much you want to carry.

Hammock
    DIY , HHASYM
    Tarp
    DIY, HH hex
    Insulation
    DIY CLMSHLD, POD
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Getting a doubler layer hammock will help if you are using a pad. Pads are warm, light, and inexpensive. After you get used to setting up and getting comfy on one its not that bad. Some here actually prefer it over an under quilt. (Majority use UQs). But with a pad going ground is an option that hangers can't really do with only a quilt.

YouTube search shugemery ... he has some vids on it

Jason
    "It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people THINK your stupid than to open it and PROVE it" - SFC Kagawa, United States Army (my old platoon SGT)
    *Originally -Abraham Lincoln 16th president of US (1809 -1865)

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    DD 10'x10'
    Insulation
    SI mat, 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch buckl
    I'm still perfecting my setup, but I have just gone from a PLUQ back to a full length pad and a reflector screen under that. I find the reflector being a bit wider than the pad is good for the shoulders and because my self-inflating pad isn't a high R rating one.

I find that the pad is flatter and my hammock (DIY) is a bit 'lumpy' at the head and foot, so the pad smooths out those a bit. Either way is a whole lot more comfy than on the ground!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Pads and certain hammocks don't mix well. For some hammocks, pads work great. Been sporting a pad in my claytor for years.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The only reservation I have about a partially inflated pad is how cold it will go. OTOH a piece of reflectix under it weighs next to nothing and adds considerably to the temp rating. Something to think about when dealing with the colder parts of the trail.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Any time you throw in a variable like "What if I have to go to ground?" you're probably going to pay a weight penalty, and a bulk penalty too. If you ask yourself, "Do I always want to be prepared to go to ground?" or "Do I always want to carry a bugnet?" and the answer is yes, then go for it. Personally, I'd rather leave the pad and independent (not integrated) bugnet when I don't need it.

I met a thru hiker last year who only carried a pad and a sleeping bag - no tent, no hammock, no tarp, no bugnet. If there was no room in the shelter, he slept on the ground and prayed for good weather.

If you could find a way to multipurpose the pad then it might not hurt as much. For example, some people use a 3/4 length CCF pad to provide structure to a frameless pack. It can double as a sit pad, or provide enough hip and shoulder coverage if you want to sleep in a rat-infested shelter with smelly strangers (why anyone would willingly do that, I don't know).

If you commit to a pad as your primary bottom insulation, then it makes sense to take the weight penalty of a double-layer hammock. Pads are much easier to manage in a DL.

What has worked for me is placing an emergency blanket made of "space" blanket material under my Thermorest Pro sleeping pad in my Mosquito Hammock sleeve. It's worked well in the Sierras in the very low 40's. Never had a cold night in my down bag and warm gear. The blanket does an excellent job of reflecting my body heat and Thermorest Pro provides an air space to keep me from sweating. The sleeping pad works great because it widens the hammock slightly and come in handy when we're above timber line and can't find any tie points.

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I m using an Exped 9 full length pad. down filled. rolls to the size of a Nalgene. haven't needed a ccf since. just keep it slightly deflated.
    DownMat 9 LW
    Size: 197x65x9 cm / 77.5x26x3.5“
    Weight: 1220 g / 24 oz
    Packed: 27x16 cm / 11x6“
    Fill Weight**: 320 g / 11 oz
    Temperature: -38°C / -36°F
    R-value: 8
    might be heavier than people want, but I prefer warmth.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5' gathered end
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    0* Lewis
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRozea View Post
    I m using an Exped 9 full length pad. down filled. rolls to the size of a Nalgene. haven't needed a ccf since. just keep it slightly deflated.

Only downside to that mat is it's price?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast