Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    I see, so it's only the state parks that won't let you hang, but in National Parks its fine as long as your in a campsite, using tree straps and over a tent pad. Might I point out that it does say TYING and I don't tie my hammock to the tree, I use straps and a biner (I am no lawyer but it sounds like a loophole to me). How confusing?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lesspayne View Post
    I see, so it's only the state parks that won't let you hang, but in National Parks its fine as long as your in a campsite, using tree straps and over a tent pad. Might I point out that it does say TYING and I don't tie my hammock to the tree, I use straps and a biner (I am no lawyer but it sounds like a loophole to me). How confusing?
    Those arguments only work on online forums.

Yes, State Parks are no-no areas for hanging a hammock from the trees (or structures). No regs on National Parks or Forests anywhere as a blanket policy; although some very heavy-use sites on National land do have restrictions. They are the exceptions that prove the rule.

The Rangers and Park Officials in the State Parks in Colorado will make you take it down if they see you. Too many dang people in the State Parks anyway. The good stuff, for the most part, is owned by us all and free to hang.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    BTW, I've never once had a Ranger or Campground Host give me any problems about using a tent pad and I've camped at dozens of formal campgrounds while doing Meetup groups with 20+ hammocks hanging. I'm talking drive-in campgrounds in the National Forests/Parks, where they would be even more strict about da rules.

Also, most of the Group Hangs out here happen in National Park campgrounds and to the best of my knowledge, we've never been hassled about hanging...anywhere.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Good to know, I am planning a 10 day trip to Wyoming and Colorado next summer, I'll be sure to steer clear of the State Parks.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Monsoon
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    HH
    That stinks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    I did have a wee bit of problem the last time I camped at an NPS campground because my tarp stakes were outside the tent pad on one side. Once I pointed out that my hammock wasn't going to be outside of the tent pad, the park manager relented.

But, that does point out a potential problem. If you're trying first-come-first-serve (FCFS), you may not find trees in the right place. And, before you get a reservation, you might want to scout out some of the campsites first for the same reason.

I'm pretty new to hammocks so this didn't occur to me until I was actually looking for spots. I realized that having a turtlelady/dog hammock stand is probably a really good idea if you're camping in campgrounds.

HTH

BTW, Cannibal, thanks for starting this thread. I really appreciate the detailed info.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

Images
    delete accidental double post
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-13-2013 at 00:06.

Images
    Don't you think we will just see more and more of this in the future? The many years long drought has weakened so many trees and now they are dead from insect damage. Millions of dead trees, seems like sooner or later all of this tender must burn.

In 1988(?), on my first trip back to WY's Wind Rivers since my NOLS course in 85,the Yellowstone fire was raging, and there was a fire burning in the Winds at Boulder Canyon. The smoke really interfered with visibility and I saw no stars that week. But maybe 10 years after that I did a horse packing trip through Boulder Creek canyon. This canyon must have been 10 or 15 miles long, and it was incredible beautiful. An abundance of gorgeous pools no doubt full of trout. And as we pulled up out of the canyon the usual WR lakes. But it was for all practical purposes unusable for safe outdoor recreation. It was such a waste land of the remains of burned trees. Depressingly ugly. But more importantly dangerous, all of those trees just waiting to fall on you. Several big trees fell, some splashing into the lakes, as we rode through the devastated area. I doubt any one ever stops in that canyon, it's just a really long stretch that must be gotten through on the way to North Fork Lake. But before the fire, I bet it was a near paradise. The creek is still as beautiful as any you will find. I bet people often camped along the entire 15 mile length while totally enjoying the beauty. Now, not so much. Another 15 years have gone by now, 25 since the fire, I wonder what it is like now?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Well for the time being, it's pretty quiet around here now. I hope it stays that way too.

This was one of those years that I'm glad we live on the east side of Denver. I'm always jealous of the folks that get to live in Boulder, Evergreen, Morrison, Golden, etc. But this has been a nerve wracking year for those folks.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12