Newbie looking for help

I am new to hamocks and and backpacking looking to get my first hamkmock im looking at the grand trunk double eno double delux or the ticket to the moon double or king which would u suggest

Thanks

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    You can pretty much roll the dice on any of those. These are all mass produced imports if memory serves.

Not to say they are bad hammocks, quite to the contrary. They are great for casual car campers, and a great intro into the hammock world. The workmanship, materials, length, width, suspensions, should all be carefully scrutinized to make sure you are getting what you want. Cottage vendors, not so much. You will know all of the above are of the highest quality and cutting edge SOTA.

The first question you need to ask is, What do you intend on doing with your new hammock?

Car camp, canoe, motorbiking, lounging in the back yard? Any of those hammocks will be fine. Pick the best price and jump.

If you intend on hiking and doing some miles, you may wish to research and look at a few other vendors, such as, BIAS, Wilderness Logistics, Dream Hammocks, Warbonnet, not all but just a few available. These are all handmade in the US and will be exactly what you want expect them to be.

Prices are a little higher. Some like BIAS, not so much, but the quality and lay are all extremely good.

You can also whip a Tableclothfactory.com hammock up for little or next to nothing and have something YOU know is made well. Because you did it.

You would do well to look around a bit first before purchasing, but anything that gets you off the ground is a step in the proper direction!
    Last edited by Rolloff; 06-21-2013 at 14:38.
    Signature suspended

Thanks I think right now just lounging in the back yard and some car camping

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Rdmar - Welcome! C'mon in, there's cold ones in the fridge so help yourself!! Now, get comfy and start reading.

What Rolloff said is completely accurate. It may be less expensive to decide what you will be using the hammock for and then buying one that fits that use, rather than buying the cheapest one you can find right now. The units you list are good products for their intended applications, but might not be what you want for your use.

There is more info on this board than you will ever need, but use the search, ask specific questions, and the folks around here will be more than happy to give you their opinions.

Me? I like the Warbonnet Blackbird. It has the footbox, the shelf, and the integrated bugnet. It also has a very simple strap/buckle suspension. I have used whoopie slings, but I just like the way the BB sets up. I opted for a double layer because there are times that I want to be able to put a ccf pad in the bottom. Also, where I camp, there can be skeeters the size of crows and the dbl keeps them from biting thru the fabric.

So that's me, but I ain't you. Only you can know what is best for your style. But with all the info available here, you should be able to make an educated decision.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts