dream hammock roaming gnome
    Tarp
    UGQ winter dream
    Insulation
    feathered friends
    Suspension
    Woopie slings

Hammock fabrics and why?

Hey everyone viper here, I have made servile hammocks for my self friends and family all out of different ripstop nylons. (I'm not sure the denier because I bought from local fabric stores.
    But anyways it seems like the mot common hammock material is ripstop nylon. And I am wondering why everyone uses ripstop?
    I haw seen some grand trunk hammocks use 100% polliester and the eno hammocks use the woven nylon (the parachuting material) and most DIY hammocks ripstop nylon.
    So why is ripstop nylon so popular with DIY hammocks? Instead of the other materials as listed above?
    So basically advantages and disadvantages to the different fabrics for hammocks?
    1.how fast do they dry?
    2.how much do they stretch?
    3.how durable are they?
    4.how much do the fabrics compress?
    5. How much do they weigh in comparison?

And I now understand I think like the different denier ratings of fabric like what they mean (thickness weight and durability to sum it up?) the higher the denier the heavier/stronger basically right? So I weigh 155lbs give or take a few, but I go to the gym 5days a week trying to bulk up, and I want a hammock at will hold me up but I don't need someone that's reduiclously overkill. So does anyone know about how much lbs the different fabrics will hold? Dinner size? Thanks a tone!

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Hey everyone viper here, I have made servile hammocks for my self friends and family all out of different ripstop nylons. (I'm not sure the denier because I bought from local fabric stores.
    But anyways it seems like the mot common hammock material is ripstop nylon. And I am wondering why everyone uses ripstop?
    I haw seen some grand trunk hammocks use 100% polliester and the eno hammocks use the woven nylon (the parachuting material) and most DIY hammocks ripstop nylon.
    So why is ripstop nylon so popular with DIY hammocks? Instead of the other materials as listed above?
    So basically advantages and disadvantages to the different fabrics for hammocks?
    1.how fast do they dry?
    2.how much do they stretch?
    3.how durable are they?
    4.how much do the fabrics compress?
    5. How much do they weigh in comparison?

And I now understand I think like the different denier ratings of fabric like what they mean (thickness weight and durability to sum it up?) the higher the denier the heavier/stronger basically right? So I weigh 155lbs give or take a few, but I go to the gym 5days a week trying to bulk up, and I want a hammock at will hold me up but I don't need someone that's reduiclously overkill. So does anyone know about how much lbs the different fabrics will hold? Dinner size? Thanks a tone!
    At 155lbs, you could probably use even the lightest materials and have no issues. 30D or 1.1 however you look at it, will probably work just fine for you. Anything heavier, just adds more durability and less stretch of the fabric around your body.
    But some may have a different opinion and suggest a heavier fabric...Its a preference thing.

Hammock
    Thommock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    You would be fine using 1.1 ounce ripstop. Polyester fabric doesn't stretch very much and plain weave nylon just isn't as durable as ripstop.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    1-5 is correct.
    The fabric is strong, lightweight, priced well.
    And ripstop is fun to say.

Denier thickness generally means stronger, but it can depend on the manufacturing processes. Thread count and thread strength come into play.

At a buck 50, you'll be fine for a long time with most fabrics. I'm 3 bills.
    ps, I'll send ya some bulk.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Papa Smurf over at Dream Hammocks has a page with a variety of fabric weights and the suggested weight limits for each one.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    ...(I'm not sure the denier because I bought from local fabric stores.

Most likely you have been using 1.9 oz/sq yd (70D) fabric.

...And I am wondering why everyone uses ripstop?

Availability of ripstop nylon with known specifications is bound to be the #1 reason it is the most commonly used. Larger manufacturers frequently use plain weave polyester or nylon fabrics as they are able to source whatever they want. Good luck finding a polyester of known weight.

...So I weigh 155lbs give or take a few, but I go to the gym 5days a week trying to bulk up, and I want a hammock at will hold me up but I don't need someone that's reduiclously overkill....

From the standpoint of strength, 1.1oz/30D, 1.7oz/40D and 1.9oz/70D nylon will hold you even if you gain weight. Personal preference for stretch and comfort will be the determining factor and only you can determine that. Ripstop versus plain weave is of little importance when the fabric is loaded as it is in a hammock. The ripstop is only intended to help keep small tears in clothing type applications from getting larger.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I prefer taffeta, nylon or polyester if I can get it. It's plain weave and IMO stronger and more comfortable than ripstop. BUT it is not for the gram weenie. Go with 30D ripstop if that's you.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR

Re: Hammock fabrics and why?

My favorite for feel is 1.1-30D ripstop with no treatments. Very soft, slight streatch, light weight and stuffs into the size of a quart bottle with ease. It's also cheap.

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    I have a hammock made from pertex, much smoother against the skin and packs tiny.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Ripstop just seems like a good idea. A rip in the right fabric and you're on the ground. I know my Hennessy is just taffeta...
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast