Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Too many options need input

Hey everyone I'm new to this to the point where I have yet to touch a hammock. My last camping experience (Car camper) opened my eyes to the fact that the ground is not all that comfy of a place to sleep. I have sort of narrowed it down between a wbbb, wbbb-xlc, and wbrr. I have looked at some of the other brands but these just appeal to me the most (still open to other suggestions). There are some attractive qualities of the dangerbird to me. I'm not sure if a bridge would be the way to go. I am torn because of so many good reviews for all of these hammocks. I am 6 ft. 0in. and weigh 200-215. I am typically a side sleeper but sleep fairly well in other positions as well. I am also torn between 1.1 and 1.7 because I am under the impression that 1.7 is more durable and will last longer. I will be using this mostly in the mountains (I live in Az, have to run from the 110 temps) in cooler temps (40 on up) and perhaps on occasion colder than that but nothing planned at this point.
    Thanks for the input

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leigh's Uq /UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Woopie/Dutch
    I like the double layer. If you get cold and need to put a mat or something in between you can.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Welcome from Fla! IMO you can't go wrong with a WB. We have a 1.1 single and and a 1.0 double, and love them both. Neither has shown any wear after numerous hangs in rough conditions. My advice: get the one that you feel most comfortable (or excited) about trying first, keeping in mind that used WB's sell in minutes on this forum. It's really easy to sell at a very small loss, then try another model if you want to fine-tune.
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I'd start with a used WBBB or Dangerbird 1.1 double and take it from there. The pad is a great option for hammock travel where you may have to go to ground, which is always a chance around here above the tree line.
    If you can get your hands on one and want to sell it later, you will be out postage at the most.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Hi. It's a big hammock world.
    Advice: Try to get to a "hang" in your region, if u can, to try out different styles and brands of hammocks.
    Make your own cheap hammock following directions in the diy subforum. U might find you don't care for a hammock at all and save some money to put towards a really high end inflatable ground pad.
    Determine the principal use...carcamping or canoecamping? A heavier comfy model like Clark's or Switchback might be good. Backpacking? Lightness. A mix? A modular style like XLC, for example.
    Bridge or gathered end? Are you willing to take a small weight penalty to achieve the flattest possible lay?
    Double layer? I'd say yes, as a safety issue. You can stuff anything in there (leaves, grass, clothes) when the temperature drops and if your underquilt gets wet.

Oops, your subject line says too many options...i just gave you more! sorry. Maybe i should shut up and send you here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=49330

and after a chuckle, you can look at this

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/11/h...ng-a-la-carte/
    Last edited by sturgeon; 06-22-2013 at 08:42. Reason: edited links

Thanks for all the input. I think I will give the blackbird DL a shot to start with. Just have to decide if I want to go xlc or not, I do like the convertible option for cooler nights. On the other hand it is $100 more lol. I do gather comfort from the fact that they are so easy to resell.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by acidburnicp View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I think I will give the blackbird DL a shot to start with. Just have to decide if I want to go xlc or not, I do like the convertible option for cooler nights. On the other hand it is $100 more lol. I do gather comfort from the fact that they are so easy to resell.
    Hello,
    I just went through the same thing. I must of researched for about a month before I settled on a camping hammock. I looked at all kinda models, that range from the cheap Skeeter Beeter from Grand Trunk to a $12350 fox fur model (http://www.thefunctionkey.com/2010/0...mock-by-bless/). I almost went with a Hennessey Hammock but I liked that Warbonnet is a cottage industry and hand makes his hammocks. So that left me in your position, which one of Brandon's hammocks do I purchase? I decided to pay the extra $100 and go with the XLC model for these reasons.

1. It's 11' as opposed to 10' and i'm a little over 6' so it should be more comfortable for me according to reviews.

2. The detachable bug net and cover makes it more versatile than the original

3. The netting comes farther down than the original giving you a better view.

4. Compared to the original the XLC will be easier to find the Sweet Spot and get rid of the calf ridge.

5. This reason is the reason I went with Warbonnet and has been mentioned before... Brandon's Hammocks do not lose value fast and resell quickly. There is a 3+ year old WBBB hammock on this forum for $145, it was put up yesterday (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=74996) it has someone interested in buying it already and will probably be sold this afternoon. (Amazing that a 3 year old hammock only lost about 20-30 dollars in value).

Any Warbonnet hammock is a good buy, but for the reasons above I am patiently awaiting my WBBB XLC 1.7 DL which was ordered on the 13th. Good Luck!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    There are some who stick with their basic hammock their entire hanging career.
    There are some who try new ones every time a new choice comes available.
    Most fall somewhere in between.
    There are a few who find hammocks are not for them.

In the end, no amount of research will find the exact right setup for you. The only way to find out is to try different things. If you are happy with your first hammock, (unless you are a gear junkie) you will probably keep using it perhaps with some minor modifications. In the end a hammock is just a sheet of fabric suspended between trees. everything else is bells and whistles.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have many hammocks but 90% of the time use my DIY hammock made from JustJeff's site.
    If bugs are out then my Blackbird.
    Most of the other hammocks are still waiting to go with me on a trip.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SF, Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0, 20
    Suspension
    adjustable straps
    The best advice is "try before you buy".

I always thought a standard (as opposed to hammocks w/spreader bars) hammock would work fine for me until I tried to sleep in one overnight. Then, I discovered that there was this leg thing, characteristic to that style, that made it feel like my calves were laying on a 2 by 4. I subsequently discovered that you could fiddle around and alleviate this problem quite a bit but I didn't like having to do that.

The other problem is I have wide shoulders (54 in around) and standard hammocks feel like they are compressing my shoulders unless I get the angle just right. However, I've also heard wide-shouldered people having that problem with bridge hammocks.

Once I tried a bridge hammock I was pretty much sold on them. For me, it's more comfortable than my bed.

That's the problem, though. You can't tell what is going to fit you until you lay in one for an hour or two.

On the other hand, if you buy the one that doesn't fit you, you'll be able to sell it for almost full retail *as long as it's a popular one*.
    “I held a moment in my hand, brilliant as a star, fragile as a flower, a tiny sliver of one hour. I dropped it carelessly, Ah! I didn't know, I held opportunity.” -Hazel Lee

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast