Thread: Loop Alien

Images

Loop Alien

Not finding any threads on this. I must be missing them.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone other than Derrick has played with them.

I noticed they have a Ti version, but if its stamped/cut to the same dimensions, the AL would be lighter. I don't see any specifics on the kickstarter page.

I'm mulling ideas for my Cuben tarp. The first time I used it, I tossed some mason line on the tie outs and a truly excessive amount of lash it for the ridge line and let it be a huge tangle.
    Since then I've redone the tie outs with uniform lengths of mason line with spliced eyes on each end and I wrap them in a figure 8 hank before stuffing the tarp.

The ridge line is still way too long. I have a dutch clip one end, I'm thinking a trap fly or a loop alien on the other end to get the ridge line tight and then slide the tarp along the ridge line with loop aliens. I currently have it fixed to the ridge line with continuous prusik loops but I can never reliable find the sweet spot with a prusik on lash it. Its either too slippy, or if I over wrap, it won't slide at all.

I don't like the idea of wrapping around the tree and then back to something attached to the tarp which Derrick demonstrates. Dutch's stingerz are intended for doing this as well. That means as I crank down on the ridge line I'm putting tension on the tarp. It also means if I want to adjust the tarp over my hammock, I have to adjust the whole ridge line. It can work, I've done it with Nite Ize figure 9's, but it adds a lot of fiddle factor. I'd rather get the ridge line nice and tight and then I'll slide the tarp so its centered above the hammock just right. It looks like the loop aliens will do that part very nicely.

I know we have some people that were funders, how do you intend to use them when you get them?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I am eagerly awaiting my loop aliens. I plan to give them a try on my tarp ridgeline first to see how I like it there. They may stay there, or get moved to the tie-outs. Can't wait to try them out!
    Last edited by darkbyrd; 06-23-2013 at 09:37.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LLG-Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    I didn't get in on the kickstarter campaign, so I am patiently waiting for them to be available to the general public. I'm always looking for easier and faster, so I am curious as to how these will be.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Loop Alien

For ridge line tie-outs I'm not seeing any advantage of these over the Tarp Flyz. They look kinda neat though. I'm switching back to the Tarp Flyz from the Stingerz. I like the ability to have the Flyz positioned closer to the tree rather than attached to the tarp like the Stingerz. I find it's less problematic with the hammock suspension, particularly if you want the tarp pitched as low as possible to the hammock and avoid contact of the hammock suspension with the tarp ridge line when you sway a bit.

Images
    Got to thinking about this some more. I may replace my Dutch hook with one. The Dutch hook is nice, but doesn't allow for making the V with your tarp ridge line. I was getting some rubbing last trip because of this which made for some awful noises vibrating into the hammock.

For the other end, where I want to add my tension to the tarp line though, it seems like the tarp flyz will be easier then having to pinch the tension while you work a bite up through the loop alien.

There's only one solution. Try both!

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Loop Alien

Interesting, the "v" is what I am trying to avoid. By having a single strand of line coming back to tarp instead of a "v" (2 lines) you don't have to position your hammock suspension in between the "v" of the tarp ridge line. To me the "v" seems more prone to rubbing. I may go back to a continuous over the top ridge line too in order to gain a little extra clearance. I've tried so many ways now and through it all the over the top ridge with prussics and Dutch Flyz seemed to be the easiest and least hassle. Always fun messing around with different things though.

Images
    depending on how far apart your trees are (assuming you want a chair height 30 degree hang) your tarp suspension will be above the height of tarp ridge line more than likely.

You may be able to hang the tarp higher, but if its too high it won't offer as much protection, and frankly, I'm not sure most will be able to reach that high on the tree.

BUT, I have the dutch hooks, I've got figure 9's I'll order some loop aliens and then maybe a tarp flyz to compare.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    FYI, here is another thread about The LoopAlien. I have a set of Ti ones coming soon. Check out the video I posted from "The Ultimate Hang" website on how to use the LA with a tarp ridgeline.

• + New Posts