HH Explorer asym
    Tarp
    Hex tarp
    Insulation
    SS/Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Explorer vs Safari

Hi guys, first real post after my intro one.

I am set on the HH line for couple of reasons, Canadian made, good reviews and a discount that is hard to pass, but I am still not set on wich one I should get.

Here's my plan,
    I have a lot of camping/backpacking under my belt and want to try something different than a tent and I am not the minimalistic type, since my time in the infantry I am more than willing to pay the price of extra weight for more comfort. I will use my hammock for hunting, fishing and camping, on foot and with my truck too. I also plan on having my 2 year old son with me a couple for sure next summer. I'm 5' 11'' 190lbs.

So the main question is, is the Explorer big enough for my needs or the Safari would be best? Also, I am unsure of how much more extra space you need to setup a Safari in the wood, I found forest around here to be pretty tight.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have the Explorer deluxe. I'm 6'1" and 160lbs. I find it extremely comfortable. My buddy just tried it out last time we went camping. He's 6' about 225lbs. He found it cramped in the shoulders. He's looking into the Safari, but is waiting for the new Jungle Safari to come out. It's a double layer Safari. I don't think the Safari will take up much more room. You'll just stake out the sides a bit farther.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    I'm new. Got a HH Explorer Deluxe zipper model. Three nice nights in a row. Plenty of room for me and my daughter to hang out before it was time for her to go inside to bed. I'm looking forward to the hanging options.

Images
    When you say "is the Explorer big enough for my needs", do you mean for you alone, or also with your son?

Of course, if he is only 2, he won't take up much room. And you might do OK with either. But I can't imagine being very comfortable in any hammock ( except maybe those made by Dblhammock) with 2 people. ( but see Mumbles' post above!)

But the Safari is noticeably bigger than the Explorer. I have both, I am 6'1", 212 lbs at the moment ( range 205-220). I have plenty of room for me inside the Explorer UL, a very comfy hammock for me, and even more room in the Safari, which is for me the most comfortable non-bridge hammock.

Even though the Safari is 1 or 2 feet longer than the Explorer, it's ridgeline is only about 4" longer(112" Safari, 108" Explorer, 100" Expedition). So length wise you will only need about 4" more to hang the safari compared to the Explorer. But you will have to be able to hang the safari higher on the tree. Because, since the hammock bed is way longer but the RL is only a little longer, this contributes to the Safari having MUCH more sag. Which I think contributes to it's comfort. When I sit in the Explorer, the RL hits me about the level of my neck/shoulders. With the Safari, it is well up above my head. But to stay off the ground, you will have to hang it higher. Usually not a problem, but still must be taken into account.

I don't think the extra width is going to be much problem for you.

Keep in mind how you will insulate it. If you were thinking of HH's Super Shelter(HHSS), it will not fit on a Safari. A PeaPod won't work unless you have a No Net, and even then it is certainly not optimum, these are best with smaller hammocks. But my Yeti and JRB UQs work just fine, though you may need to rig up a suspension extender, no big deal. Neither of these hammocks is double layer yet, so a pad will kind of suck unless you find an SPE.

But if you want to stick to HH and use the HHSS, then the Explorer is your hammock!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm 6' and find the Explorer models very comfortable.
    The Safaris are HUGE and extremely comfortable, but way overkill for a hike IMO...unless you are like 7' tall, or something.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I'm shaped a bit differently...5'6" and 200lbs. The Explorer works GREAT for me. Like you, I'm ex-military and the weight of my gear is less of a concern for me than it might be.

My main suggestion to you would be to get a side-zip model, whichever you choose. Being able to reach in/out of the hammock helps more than you'd realize, and if you've got a young'un along, you'll want that even more.

Also spring for the hex tarp...the added coverage makes setup and site selection much easier.

Hammock
    HH Explorer asym
    Tarp
    Hex tarp
    Insulation
    SS/Costco UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks guys, you have replied to all my wuestions in no time, I should have joined earlier instead of searching on google lol.

Thinking twice about it, having my little guy with me in the hammock will only be so often so that doesn't really weight big now.

Defenitely going to go with a explorer asym zip now, the hex tarp was already on my wish list.

Thanks again, I will let you know how it works out for me when I get my hands on one.
    Cheers

• + New Posts