Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Survival weekend

On scene Friday: Lost Biker, Captain Buck, Doctari.
    Mostly we set up camp & shared hanging tips & talked hiking (& stuff), Fixed / ate dinner & to bed.

Sat AM: Up & at it, Dave (Biker) fixed flat bread & gravy: WOW! tasty AND filling. I made a bow with: 2 saplings, duct tape & para cord. It worked,,, sort of, a range of only about 15', but I had made the bow a bit too long & while stringing it partially broke both saplings. The arrow I made didn't work at all, but I know where I went wrong so will work on that skill at home. We 3 got to shoot the PVC bow my son had made, using some cheep arrows I had. That went very well, and we found all the arrows after each time. Something I rarely do.
    Then, sadly Mike (Buck) got called into work,
    Just as Mike was nearly finished taking down his camp, Matt showed up, so for a short time there were 4 of us there.
    So we practiced starting fires using Ferrel rods & bird's nests & char cloth & stuff. Matt taught a bit about carving by making a spoon, I set a crawdad trap,,, then it started to rain! Rained for a hour or so. I went to check my trap, it was GONE, washed down stream because Dry Fork had risen about 1 foot. My plan had been to set a few of them, but,,, oh well, next time for sure.
    Dinner, we fixed what we each had brought, (Polish sausage & sauerkraut for me) sometimes car camping is GREAT. I made some pine needle tea, I thought it was quite good. Then we talked till a bit after dark, then to bed.
    Oh yea, I got to drive Jeep into the creek, she loved it,,, OK, I loved it! But that's what Jeeps are for!
    AM today, more flat bread & gravy! I have got to do that myself from now on. Way good! It stuck with me till I got home around 1500 today.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Hey Doc! Great weekend and tons of fun and learning/sharing of information.

Here's some pictures of everybody and of the bow Doc made and the PVC bow he brought.
    Matt showed up ready for anything knife wise - he batoned a goodly portion of firewood, while I used my Irwin course cut saw for the rest. Had loads of fun lighting fires with different techniques. Matt's an amazing carver - the third to the last shows him working on a wooden spoon.
    Bummer that Mike had to leave early. We offered to certify that he was dead, but Mike declined the offer.
    Went to sleep listening to the tree frogs. It was a good weekend!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Looks like everyone had a great time - hate being called into work though. Love seeing the jeep getting a 'wash'!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Looks like everyone had a great time - hate being called into work though. Love seeing the jeep getting a 'wash'!
    YES WE DID!
    That was Matt's Jeep, we needed to go get something & he was parked behind me (No way around him, even for Jeep), so we took his. My Jeep was upset, so we played for a bit after everyone left & she forgave me. YES, I know it's weird, it is what I do best.
    Last edited by Doctari; 06-24-2013 at 19:32.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Not sure what you were surviving but any excuse to get into the woods is a good one! Looked like fun, thanks for sharing!
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    YES WE DID!
    That was Matt's Jeep, we needed to go get something & he was parked behind me (No way around him, even for Jeep), so we took his. My Jeep was upset, so we played for a bit after everyone left & she forgave me. YES, I know it's weird, it is what I do best.
    True, true - we could hear your jeep sobbing from the river area all night - lucky I had earplugs..
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip
    Insulation
    Modded Sleepin Bag
    Suspension
    Salvaged Seatbelts
    Images
    My Jeep just begs for me to get mud on her Awesome Thanks for Sharing.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Not sure what you were surviving but any excuse to get into the woods is a good one! Looked like fun, thanks for sharing!
    As in the planning post, we were there to learn & practice survival skills, while having the luxury of car (sort of) camping amenities.

Our thought was; When in a situation where: Fire, shelter, food gathering & etc type skills are needed, is NOT the time to learn them.
    Now, I can: build a fire with flint & steel, make a hunting bow (not so good at arrows yet, but I'll learn) & make a crawdad trap, that sadly washed away when it rained.

We did want to do more, but we talked (& talked & talked & etc) it rained, &,,,,,,,

Next time, I hope to do more, cause knowing how to do these things with minimal gear, means it's easier to do with the proper gear!

Can build a fire without a lighter or matches? Then when you have a lighter or matches, it's much easier.
    Can build a debris hut? Then you can bolster the protection of your tarp or tent.
    Can catch Crawdads? Yummy snack for on a day off while hiking.
    Even if you never actually hunt with your bow, well it took me about 15 minutes to make & had I done it without breaking the bow & was able to make a decent (few) arrows, it would have been great fun just to play with.

So, if you spend time in the woods, knowing how to do a few "Primitive" skills, can make life easier, or even save your life.

And, we did have fun, after all: "Any excuse to get into the woods is a good one!"

Thanks for your support!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL - Tadpole
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    nice muddy river ... or is that really a road? haha

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images

Survival weekend

Looks like a fun outing! You should check out "Rabbit Stick", an annual rendezvous of folks teaching/learning primitive living skills. Also head over to our sort of 'sister site',
    BushcraftUSA.com, and watch the 'Bushclass' videos. Excellent information there!

~SkyPainter (on both sites)
    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

If you're going to do something wrong, go for it! - Beryl G.

"Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run. He hates that!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast