Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    The only reason I, personally, see to order a HH is if you want or need the bottom entry for some reason.
    There are a few other reasons to buy an HH:
    • Because they are the market leader they are easier to resale
    • With many models you can buy the lightest hammock that fits your weight and height
    • One of the few manufacturers to sell their own under-insulation system (supershelter). They're not the only one, i.e. JRB.
    • HH also sells many accessories, including the ubiquitous snakeskins
    • Because they are the market leader you are more likely to find aftermarket accessories that are targeted to HH hammocks. After all, that's how JRB got started.

I bought my HH last year with my REI dividend. Made it a lot easier, plus that gives you the REI no-questions return policy.

Just some more food for thought.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    sarahgirl-
    I will quickly recommend the Warbonnet Blackbird; I personally think it's the best hammock I have. The shelf would have been very handy to have on my AT journey.

But here's the thing, you won't really know what hammock is your favorite until you try it. First thing you should do, if you haven't already, is spend your free time reading posts and reviews here. I think just about every commercial hammock has an advocate on this forum and you can learn a lot just by reading their opinions. It may help narrow the field for you. The single most important thing you can do this summer is find a hang-out to attend and make some friends who will let you try their hammock for a nap.

You've got lots of time, take advantage of it. Try some hammocks and make your decision before the end of summer. Then you have fall and winter to get everything squared away. You'll be a hammock pro before you take the first step of your thru.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 03-06-2009 at 13:20.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    There are a few other reasons to buy an HH:

Because they are the market leader they are easier to resale
    I seriously doubt you would have a problem reselling a JRB BMB or Warbonnet Blackbird on these forums. Not that you'd be likely to actually WANT to resell any of those. I could see you wanting to sell your HH, on the other hand.
    With many models you can buy the lightest hammock that fits your weight and height
    Lots of companies offer multiple models to fit your height and weight - I don't see this as a reason to choose a HH over any of those. The warbonnet blackbird, for example, is available in at least four different standard fabric combinations for different weights, and Brandon will even do weirder custom orders (like a double layer with 1.1 and 1.7 fabric, or an extra-wide version he made for two people to share).
    One of the few manufacturers to sell their own under-insulation system (supershelter). They're not the only one, i.e. JRB.
    Few? I would say more than a few popular brands sell their own insulation. JRB has their UQs, Speer has the snugfit and peapod, Warbonnet has the Yeti, clark has the built-in pockets, DD has the underblanket...
    HH also sells many accessories, including the ubiquitous snakeskins
    This just seems silly to me - JRB sells as many accessories as HH, and the Jacks' stuff is generally more versatile.

Because they are the market leader you are more likely to find aftermarket accessories that are targeted to HH hammocks. After all, that's how JRB got started.
    Silly again, for the same reasons as above. Besides, most things made for the HH will fit many gathered end hammocks with little or no modification. Also, a lot of that aftermarket attention is due to things people dislike about HH. See, for example, the HUGE number of people who recommend the first thing you do with your HH is mail it off to 2Q/ZQ to get a zipper added. I'm not going to buy a piece of gear that needs immediate modification to make it fit my needs when others sell stuff that meets my needs right out of the box.

I bought my HH last year with my REI dividend. Made it a lot easier, plus that gives you the REI no-questions return policy.
    THIS makes sense. I almost got a HH for this very reason, in fact - knowing I could end up hating my hammock six months later and return it was a powerful draw. And using dividends would be majorly sweet. So I guess I now see two possible reasons to buy a HH

That said, most hammock manufacturers here have awesome return policies. Brandon offers a 90 day satisfaction guarantee on Warbonnet hammocks. So far, I haven't heard of a SINGLE person taking him up on that offer. Can't say the same thing for returns of HH.

I don't mean to bag on the Hennesey so much, and Tom deserves a lot of credit for managing to build a hugely successful business and get hammocks into the arms of lots of people. I'm also not saying that the HH is a bad product - it's a fine hammock. I'm just saying some clever folks have improved on the product for most users. Perhaps more importantly, they don't ship their manufacture off to china, or try to strong-arm people with threats of lawsuits. I'd much rather buy something from the Jacks or Brandon, active participants in this hobby who encourage innovation and healthy competition, than from a guy who tries to litigate his way out of having to keep up.

I'd still much rather be in a HH than on the ground, though

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    If you purchase a Clark purchase when you are ready to do some real testing not a year out from the trip you plan. Setting up in your back yard for a few hours is not the same as living in it for a few days in the bush. Clark has a decent return policy but it is limited.

Personally I think they are good hammocks with a good fly and nice features. They are shorter and narrower than other brands though so be aware. You can probably piece together a better system but that will take time and some experience.

I've never owned a HH so I can't compare them.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Well thanks all. I think I'm a little more informed now. I couldnt help but wonder though if Ramblinrev was speaking of himself...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I know the guy who owns and runs The Hiking Spot. He's a good guy. I've hiked briefly with him and I've shared a micro-brew porter with him.
    No... that is not me. I know his screen name as PAHikes and I can't for the life of me remember his real name. He is active on a couple of other forums that I post on.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Yeah...good point photomankc. I havent even looked for hammocks around Iowa. I will probably have to order online. It seems like all the latest trends reach us 5 years later. I doubt I will be able to "try before I buy". Maybe I will check out craigs list for owners.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie, biner
    Images
    Oh I think I've probably seen his username on the trailplace forum.

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    I don't think the NA IS more expensive....I had the set-up listed below:

---------------------------------------------price---------weight
    Hennessy ULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM----$179.95-------1lb 15oz
    ----------undercover & pad-----------------129.95-----------13oz
    ----------------------overcover--------------34.95------------6oz(?)
    ordered Snakeskins so I could use covers------19.95------------4oz(?)

------------------------------------total---$364.80-------3lbs 6oz (est)

I don't see the NA as either more expensive or heavier than a set-up that offers comparable attributes.

It is, for me, more practical...I like sticking stuff in the many, available pockets rather than leaving them on the ground, in my pack, in a plastic garbage bag...the Hennessy pad was not enough to keep me warm below freezing so I always carried my own pad...I found the undercover sagged as it was all one unit where the NA's pockets distribute weight more evenly...

I chose gear that works for me...it's nice if it's American made but not imperative for me...

This was talked about some time ago and our friend marta took the time to figure her setup out and broke it down.
    She was very big into backpacking and hiking and loved her setup for just that.

If you want you can do a search and find out all she had to talk about on here and other forums. She posted on backpacker forums as well about her setup.

Man it pains me to talk about her now she is not around to grace our pages anymore.

but she's hanging and hiking somewhere wonderful I am sure.

hope this helps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12