Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

tensile strength of fabric

Michelle
    I see quite a few posts thinking that there is only one factor in tensile strength (breaking strength of fabric). We sell quite a few fabrics that are ultra-light and take quite a bit of weight.
    As a general rule (and with some exceptions) fabrics that are made for the United States military will have much higher standards than fabrics for civilian applications since faulty fabric for the military could have fatal consequences.
    In the future you should ask for further information on the fabric including the number of plies on the yarn and the thread count, since tensile strength will correlate with the higher number of plies and the denser the thread count. Another factor that has nothing to do with tensile strength but I have not seen on hammock forums is whether a fabric is wet or pigment printed. You should never buy a pigment printed fabric since a pigment print has both a tendency to fade and to adhere to light colored clothing.
    A fabric supplier should be able to provide this information.

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    I sure hope it wasn't your digi-cam hammock. Just a thought, you could allways make a gear sling with the excess. Just a thought...
    Jonah,

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Michelle I was just wondering what kind of seam did you use to connect the two halves of the original hammock?
    -Mark
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnaFabrics View Post
    Michelle
    I see quite a few posts thinking that there is only one factor in tensile strength (breaking strength of fabric). We sell quite a few fabrics that are ultra-light and take quite a bit of weight.
    As a general rule (and with some exceptions) fabrics that are made for the United States military will have much higher standards than fabrics for civilian applications since faulty fabric for the military could have fatal consequences.
    In the future you should ask for further information on the fabric including the number of plies on the yarn and the thread count, since tensile strength will correlate with the higher number of plies and the denser the thread count. Another factor that has nothing to do with tensile strength but I have not seen on hammock forums is whether a fabric is wet or pigment printed. You should never buy a pigment printed fabric since a pigment print has both a tendency to fade and to adhere to light colored clothing.
    A fabric supplier should be able to provide this information.
    Wow! I'm pleased to see you respond! I may have ordered that fabric from you guys, way back. I have been perusing your website, looking for fabric with which to make a 2-ply hammock. My MARPAT was UL and I totally forgive the failure, as I sense it had more to do with my innattention to it, than fabic flaws, of any kind.
    I'll keep checking your inventory!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567