Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Full-time Hammocking Questions

So, I'm still pretty new to the forums, and hammocking in general, but I've been thinking of replacing my bed with a hammock for quite some time. Since I finally have a job, I decided it was time to go all in and give it a shot. Figure if it doesn't work out as a bed replacement, I'll have a hammock to go be lazy in, or work on some crochet in XD

Anyway, I can't put up hooks to hang from the walls, landlady doesn't even want us using tacks -_- So I've been looking at stands. Would a turtlelady/turtledog work as a full time stand? Or should I look into a different type of stand?

Also with the turtlelady/turtledog, I plan to setup a tableclothfactory hammock with the Just Jeff whipping method. What would I need to hang the hammock from the stand? Whoopies? Just some webbing or cord?

This may have been covered in one of the stand threads (in fact, it probably was) but I just couldn't bring myself to sift through all those posts Oo

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Yes, a portable stand, (turtledog or similar), works perfectly in a house or apartment as long as it's built correctly. Just make sure you have enough space for its length. I sleep in a hammock full time myself and am much happier for it.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    yeah, there are a few using the turtledog for a fulltime stand. To answer your other question, after you whip the ends, if you can get your hands on some amsteel blue, all you'd really need with a tablecloth hammock and a 10 foot ridgepole is some dogbones or continuous loops. After trying both, I prefer the continuous loops, but I know others here prefer the dogbones. You can buy some from our cottage vendors if you don't want to make them. You just larks head those to the end of your hammock and put the loop over each end of the pole. Works great for me. I find whoopies are too long and I hang too low to the ground or on the ground if I use them with the turtledog stand.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Fengathor, welcome aboard from a 2 year fulltimer. once you start hanging fulltime you will have to deal with the fact that some places you end up in aren't conducive to hanging. When you are home and set up there are no problems. When you are on the move the situation changes. This was the evolution of the Turtlelady's stand. At this time I'm hanging outside the RV in Maine just to get my hammock fix every night. When home I hang in a modified lawn swing. Below is a link to the stand I use nightly at home.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=35273
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

First, thanks for the quick responses, always nice to find a community so helpful to noobs like me XD

Olddog,
    I had looked into building a stand similar to that originally, but decided an easier stand to tear-down would probably be better for me. As it is, I could only just fit a stand in my room with some rearranging. With something like the turtlelady stand though, I could lay it out roughly diagonal for a better fit, then take the ridgepole out and move everything aside when I need room.

CamRuns,
    When I ordered my fabric, I put in an order for some amsteel as well
    Just one question on your response,
    When you say. "Just larks head the loops to the hammock" Do you mean making the larks head with the loop? Or using a separate section of rope to attach the loop to the hammock?

Hammock
    DIY 11'
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Sleep bag
    Suspension
    Home made Whoopies
    Make a larks head around the fabric right were the gathered ball is. Using the continuous loop. This way you have a loop of amsteel sticking out to hook around the end of the center pole on the turtledog stand.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Yeah, Nift is right. Larks head your continuous loop right around where you have the fabric tied up and once you lay in it, it will make the continuous loop's hold even stronger

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Fengathor.... that TurtleDog stand would be great for what you are planning.
    It can break down and be moved, without too much trouble.
    I do not have any experience first hand with this stand, but have poured
    over the thread many many times. Some people either coat the bottom of all
    of the tripod poles with a "dip" that is used for tool handles. Some others purchase
    the feet that go onto the bottom of walking canes. If you are going to be using
    this as a full time stand, you might want to put some serious thought into what
    you are going to be using to make the stand. The original stand was made from
    bamboo. You might want something a little more sturdy like the 2x2s that some
    use.

Nift/Camruns,
    That's what I had thought you meant, but figured it best to confirm it.

Sail,
    I'm gonna go with the 2x2's, don't have a source for bamboo, and Home Depot isn't very far. For now I'm not putting anything on the feet, will just be placing the stand on a rug so it won't scratch up the floors. Will look into that tool dip though.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I'm totally interested in that tool dip. Hadn't heard of it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast