Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    They make double rows of stitches fast. But I have never used them. You need two spools of top thread and one bobbin thread. You can certainly get some interesting effects with them. If you can do really good straight stitch lines you can double sew on binding tape in one pass. They have their uses. I don't know how much time they would save your average gear maker.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by IndyDan View Post
    Does anyone use twin needles in sewing?

Example:
    http://www.ggcreations.com.au/althea/needles/twin.html
    I am exploring using them. I do twin lines of stitching on everything for a KAQ and these would save some time.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Mrprez... bear in mind it is not the same as two rows of single stitches. There is only one bobbin thread for two rows of top stitching. If the bobbin thread breaks both rows are compromised. I don't know if that would be a good thing for structural seams. They are great for decorative and topstitching where if something breaks your garment/gear is not going to come apart.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    John, also be aware that 'proper' double needle machines can get very, very pricey if you're looking for something over a home model.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If I was looking to save time on a commercial venture I might consider a four needle serger with a lock stitch. With the good thread the seams are as bomb proof as anything and you seal and sew each hem with a single pass. I've used my wife's serger on ployester fiber fill projects and it worked fairly well. I would think with practice it could be quite nice.

They make three needle machines which are cheaper but I would not recommend them as they do not have the lock stitch. They are fine for binding seams but you would still need a single seam stitch line I would think.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Mrprez... bear in mind it is not the same as two rows of single stitches. There is only one bobbin thread for two rows of top stitching. If the bobbin thread breaks both rows are compromised. I don't know if that would be a good thing for structural seams. They are great for decorative and topstitching where if something breaks your garment/gear is not going to come apart.
    Right, I remember that from the sewing class on my machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    John, also be aware that 'proper' double needle machines can get very, very pricey if you're looking for something over a home model.
    Yep, you are right on that note. Making 2 passes isn't so bad. I had a straight foot that makes a nice margin between lines of stitching.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    If I was looking to save time on a commercial venture I might consider a four needle serger with a lock stitch. With the good thread the seams are as bomb proof as anything and you seal and sew each hem with a single pass. I've used my wife's serger on ployester fiber fill projects and it worked fairly well. I would think with practice it could be quite nice.

They make three needle machines which are cheaper but I would not recommend them as they do not have the lock stitch. They are fine for binding seams but you would still need a single seam stitch line I would think.
    I will look into those. They kinda scare me with all those needles and thread and stuff....but I guess once you learn how to use one they might not be so scary.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    A serger is actually easier to use IMO than a regular thread injector. Because it is made to sew so fast the feed dogs are super good, at least on my wife's Janome. The presser foot is HUGE and the needle threading is not too bad except for one sticking nasty bugger that she has to almost blind thread. Which of course is the one I usually break but that's because I don't use the machine that much.

I like it a lot and would have one of my own if I could justify it. But I can't so I wait til the wife is at work and then I go and bugger up her machine. She is a long suffering woman I'll tell you.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    BB,HH, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    MacCat, JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB underquilt
    Images
    Question: Can you use two thread on a single bobbin?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    No.. No.. Again I say no.

To be more precise... I doubt it. I have seen instances where two different threads have been used in a single needle to get special effects in appearance. However, the needle eye is larger on bigger needles. That flexibility is not present with the bobbin. Further the bobbin is pre-wound as it were. I have gotten rat's nests on the bobbin from a badly wound single thread. I can't imagine the nightmare winding two threads at once onto the same bobbin could create.

I really don't think it would gain you anything anyway because there would still be one set of stitching controlling the integrity of two top stitch rows.
    Last edited by Ramblinrev; 03-06-2009 at 10:50.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast