Indoor Hammock Calculator

Hi everyone, this is my first post so I apologize if this has been repeatedly asked and answered in another thread. My family has recently been turned on to enjoying hammocks inside (only ever used them outside previously and run of them mill products at best) our home. We have a few of the ENO doublenest hammocks, atlas straps and indoor mounting kits. That being said, I mounted one of the kits exactly as the directions indicated and the results are perfect. My problem arises when I try to mount the kits at further distances, due to the room size, and then use my atlas straps to hang my hammock. In order to achieve the perfect hang, I am thinking that I will ultimately have to mount the kits higher on the wall, but I am not sure how high and I would like to avoid drilling a million holes in my walls. Is there a general rule of thumb that I should follow for trying to span distances further than specified in the instructions? I contacted ENO and they suggested I find trees of similar distance and experiment, but I assume others have run into this issue as well?!?! As it stands know (and I am not at home to know the exact distance) when I mount the kits at 52" high on the wall and try to span approximately 20 feet with the straps we either end up with the canoe effect or we end up touching the floor below. All of our other mounts are more for sleeping so finding spots that match the instructions was easy, this particular spot is more for comfortable reading or tv watching in our living room and it's beginning to frustrate me. Any help is much appreciated and I look forward to learning and contributing a lot on this site!!!!

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Give this a try, it might help.

hammock-hang-calculator

I haven't hung from walls yet, so the calculator is all I can offer.
    Good luck,
    Jason

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Yep, the hammock hang calculator should be all you need. Spanning 20 ft. is not ideal either outdoors or indoors. You're going to have to have your anchors at 7.25 feet up the wall to get the proper hang angle. I hope you have high ceilings.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You're going to have to have your anchors at 7.25 feet up the wall to get the proper hang angle. I hope you have high ceilings.
    If you don't have that height, You may want to look into hanging a length of metal fence rail (see the turtle dog stand threads) from the ceiling and attaching the hammock to the ends of the rail. The rail takes the compression load and the ceiling hang carries the weight. There was a good bit of discussion of this but I think it mixed into several threads. It will take a bit of investigation.

Jason

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Big room to span.
    Some folks have successfully hung directly from the ceiling. Or one point on the ceiling and one on the wall.

Another option is to run a 10' long spreader bar that hangs from the ceiling on vertical cords.
    Then hang you hammock directly from the ends of the spreader bar.

A hammock stand is your next option.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm hanging from eye bolts in my ceiling. I didn't put a lot of thought into it, just put the eyebolts about 108", the length of my ridgeline, apart. Of course, the eyebolts are only 5'3" off the ground (ceiling transitions from 4 ft. stepwall to 8 ft.). I'm surprised I got it right on the first try, but the hammock hangs perfectly.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Here's a thread showing my indoor hang, with some useful tips. The span was 15'.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=74386

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I got my hammock successfully mounted last night and slept there as well! My wife isn't loving the fact that I prefer the hammocks to our bedroom but she understands why as we both experience amazing sleep in these things. I ended up spanning a shorter distance than originally planned, but still had to put the mounts close to 8 feet high on the walls. BTW, I liked the ceiling ideas, but my ceilings are vaulted so I am not sure that was as feasible. Either way, I can't wait to relax after work with an IPA in hand in my hammock! That hammock calculator was a lifesaver!

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by derekash3312 View Post
    I can't wait to relax after work with an IPA in hand in my hammock!
    The only thing better than that is a DIPA

Jason

• + New Posts