Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leave no trace hammock camping guide lines

Found a few comments about LNT ,but thought we should as a public service try to refine a list .I think it could be a short one ? So who has some ideas to throw out on reducing any impact a hammock camper might make .ok this is a little self serving ,want to show my Scout troop hammock camping ,but want to have LNT precautions ready to teach ,up front as it were .

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Hammock camping is already very low impact to begin with. I've read it takes the the ground area where a tent is set up almost 2 weeks to recover. A hammock has very little impact on the surrounding habitat. A hammock hung with only rope can damage a tree, but with almost all of the hammock camping community using webbing or tree huggers there is little or no impact on the tree. IMHO using a camping hammock is about as LNT as you can get.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Hennessy Hammocks has a nice LNT write-up on their site here. Just drop the Hennessy name as the comments apply to all hammocks. You can also email LNT and ask the question. In my experience those folks just love to talk about their passion (kinda like hangers) and you'll get a beautiful list of the pros and cons of using a hammock in line with LNT principals.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've been meaning to do this for a while anyway, so I just sent an email asking for LNT's view on hammock camping. I specifically mentioned that we (most) use webbing in lieu of rope. I'll post the response, if any, here.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Not necesarily unique to hangers but, I have seen some great places I wanted to hang, views, perfectly spaced trees, the best angle to deflect wind, etc... the only issue was a small sapling right in the middle. Of course LNT principles prohibited me from hanging in that primo spot.

Hammock
    Warbonnets
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Not necesarily unique to hangers but, I have seen some great places I wanted to hang, views, perfectly spaced trees, the best angle to deflect wind, etc... the only issue was a small sapling right in the middle. Of course LNT principles prohibited me from hanging in that primo spot.
    Have you ever tried using a string to tie the sapling down?

Most of the places I hike, I have permission to work on the trails, so I just hang on the corridors in the warmer weather and stay out of the poison ivy. If there's a sapling in the way, I cut it, because most of our trails are grown up in brush anyway. I rarely meet other backpackers here in Southern Missouri. If there was ever to be someone come around, they'd probably be glad to see another soul and think a hammock was really neat, as most of them still are in the old boy scout style huge external frame backpack ages.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    OK, I got a response and have copied it below. Be sure to check out our own HF member they mention. Way to go Ed! The 2" - 4" webbing they mention kind of threw me, but LNT isn't known for moderation.

"Hello Grant,

Thanks for your question. Our Leave No Trace education expert, Ben Lawhon, is out of the office right now, but I found an email he wrote to another one of our members who asked a similar question. I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please contact Ben directly. His information will appear at the end of his message.

Thanks, Katie
    ---
    From Ben,

Thanks for your interest in Leave No Trace. Let me start by saying that we (the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics) do not have a recommendation either for or against tents and/or hammocks. We advocate for enjoying the outdoors responsibly.

The biggest different is that when properly used, hammocks can eliminate much of the impact generally associated with tent camping. When tent camping, you are impacting a larger area just by the sheer nature of a tent’s size and the additional impact of sleeping pads, sleeping bags and the campers inside.

As long as ‘tree saver straps’ (2-4” wide straps that go around the tree to minimize any girdling effects) are used, there is very little impact associated with hammock camping. Besides getting in and out of the hammock, the ground beneath is almost untouched. Additionally, a hammock allows for greater flexibility when choosing a campsite. When looking for a tent site, level ground is generally preferred. However, with a hammock, one can essentially camp wherever there are trees. This could be on a steep slope, over boulders, snow or other surface the might not be suitable for tent camping.

There is a book that you may find useful, and one that we helped review and provide Leave No Trace information for: Hammock Camping – A Guide to the New Comfort, Convenience and Freedom In the Great Outdoors, Written by Wade Edward Speer (I put the smilie in there, not LNT)

If you have additional questions or need more information, feel free to contact me directly.

Best,
    Ben Lawhon
    Education Director
    Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics
    P.O. Box 997, Boulder, CO 80306
    P: 303.442.8222 x104
    F: 303.442.8217
    http://www.LNT.org
    --
    Katie Jones
    Information Coordinator
    Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics
    PO Box 997
    Boulder, CO 80306
    P: 303.442.8222 X100
    F: 303.442.8217
    http://www.LNT.org
    "
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    OK, I got a response and have copied it below. Be sure to check out our own HF member they mention. Way to go Ed! The 2" - 4" webbing they mention kind of threw me, but LNT isn't known for moderation.

"Hello Grant,
    Who is "Grant"?
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Who is "Grant"?
    My evil twin brother that I blame everything on.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    My evil twin brother that I blame everything on.
    GRANT IS A CANNIBAL?? No Way <<shocked>>

j/k
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast