Thread: Umstead idea

Images

Umstead idea

Just want to toss this out there.
    Because I work nights, I would NOT currently be able to host any group hang although once my work schedule finally changes its all game.

Umstead park has some amenities which might make for a nice hang. I wouldn't want to encroach on the Smoke'd Butt hang or the Uwharrie hangs though.

The reason I think Umstead could be cool is that it would be fairly easy to take advantage of the trails in the park and have several options for day hikes that could be anything from a few miles, or much much more if one really wanted. All loops mind you. I like loops.

I would say the best time of year for such a hang would probably be during the non-buggy months, perhaps even winter if there isn't a local hang around that time already.

The big catch I think would be camping. There is a cheap primitive tent site that has a NICE fire ring, a few picnic tables, running water a small park grill and an outhouse. I've walked through here and it would be fantastic for hammocks, though I have no idea if they are allowed in the park. The other catch is a 25 person limit.

Aside from that, we'd be restricted to the general campground. I have no idea what the tree situation is there.

There is a 'group lodge' that will hold another 25 people. Its would work out to less than $2/person and its only a few minutes walk from the primitive site. Of course, what crazy talk am I thinking about, there's no trees inside a lodge.

There are also some VERY nice picnic shelters which would make fantastic area's for a cookout, but aren't close to either campground. This one will accommodate a whopping 125 people.

Anyway, there's some really nice hikes around this park, though it does get rather busy on the weekends, but it seems a shame the other hangs are close by, but ignore possible opportunities here.

I'll have to deffer to the more experienced group participants as to how suitable to actual amenities would be.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    I have hiked all the trails in Umstead Park, both on the Harrison Ave side and the Hwy 70 (Glennwood Ave) side. Yes it does get crowded. But the hiking trails are nice. I cant wait for the Bass Pro Shop they are in the process of building on Harrison Ave. Could be a possibility for a hang.

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    I lived in Raleigh for over 20 years and hiked all the trails in Umstead probably a hundred times. But I only camped there overnight once and once was enough. The noise from the jet planes taking off and landing all night was awful.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Lived near Umstead for many years - hiked the trails often. Very interesting terrain so close to a major city. I've hung in three NC state parks recently so expect that hanging would be OK but would want to check with the ranger to be sure.

I do agree about the jet noise. RDU has FedEx planes coming and going until like 3:30 AM. The family campground is very close to one of the runways. The group camps are a little farther. Just bring your ear plugs - really good ones!

Several restaurants nearby might be willing to cater a dinner if the group is big enough.

There are three REI stores nearby along with a Great Outdoor Provision store.

Any info on the opening date for the Bass Pro Shop?

Images
    I think BPS is next year sometime. Gander Mountain was a disappointment IMO, but I've always wanted to see a BPS.

I didn't think about the airport. I actually live half a mile from the park and there's little airplane noise here, but yes, the formal campground is on the side that borders RDU.
    I grew up close to SJAFB though so I'm probably partially immune to overhead noises.

Something flew over one evening in Grayson Highlands last week that sounded like a vintage cargo jet being shot out of the air. It was a rather frightening noise really, glad I wasn't asleep when it started.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    I think BPS is next year sometime. Gander Mountain was a disappointment IMO, but I've always wanted to see a BPS.
    Been gone from Raleigh 3 years and didn't even know about Gander Mountain.

I see the store listed as:

Raleigh Store
    2100 Village Market Place
    Morrisville, NC 27560
    919-238-3935

Is this the shopping center at the Airport Rd exit off of I40?

Thanks,

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Have not camped at Umstead since the 60's
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    Yeah I understand that BPS will open In the next 6 to 9 months. Gander Mountain; if you following Harrison Ave toward Cary, then turn right onto Chapel Hill Rd, it is about 1.5 miles up on the left. This Gander Mountain is fairly new.

My son lives real close to Umstead and says he rarely hears any planes.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PappyAmos View Post
    Been gone from Raleigh 3 years and didn't even know about Gander Mountain.

I see the store listed as:

Raleigh Store
    2100 Village Market Place
    Morrisville, NC 27560
    919-238-3935

Is this the shopping center at the Airport Rd exit off of I40?

Thanks,
    Its further off the highway than that. There is an older shopping center across the street and the Gander Mountain side looks all new with extensive suites for stores (most still empty) a Super Target and several other stores.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    i read this very excitedly (new word) my daugther asked to go to another hang....This Sounds like a good idea except for the planes. I would like to get away from City/ plane noise.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts