Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Hey Roche and Hangnout it took me much longer to actually log into this forum than I thought. We are working on planning out our next hammock trip. Thanks for letting us crash at your site we would have never of made it to the shelter!
    Enjoyed camping with your group and I barely made it to the shelter after a nights rest

Quote Originally Posted by emcee View Post
    Glad you guys had a great trip. I see you were expanding your experience with creek crossings. Steep like the climb up to Stone Door, but for 4 miles? My pulse picked up just thinking about it.
    The last 2 miles to the shelter was steeper than the climb to Stone Door. Some parts of the trail was pretty much a rocky drainage ditch straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Roche--creek crossing question.
    16 crossings. Hmmmm. Change shoes or hike in wet boots? Trail runners? Eventually I have to do that trail curious how you skinned the creek.
    I went 50/50 after I lost my one of my crocs in a creek crossing. I made the mistake of trying to grab it and fell in. When I looked up I saw my croc and one of my carbon fiber hiking poles floating down stream. I had to make a split second decision on saving one of them. The carbon fiber pole won. It ended up being the right decision for the wrong reason. The poles were a requirement for the creek crossings. I realized the Keen hiking shoe had much better traction than the crocs and eventually went 100% Keens on the last 3 crossings. If it had been winter I would have kept the shoes dry. If I had to do it again I would have brought some water shoes that I left behind because they were a couple ounces heavier than the crocs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    My favourite kind of weather - rainy days are good too! 10 hours in the hammock is almost enough. Pretty tricky looking creek crossings. The butterflies were nice. Judging by the constant smiling faces, I’d say you both had a really great hike, thanks for the video, hangout!
    It was a great trip. I realized we only filmed some of the easier creek crossings because we were in survival mode on the others. The rain earlier in the week brought the level up. I think it was the number of crossings requiring constant concentration that made it an adventure. I have crossed creeks that high and rivers even higher but these crossings were deceiving in the amount of water flowing. My hiking poles were literally humming like guitar strings
    Last edited by hangnout; 07-03-2013 at 20:55.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    One more observation HNO/Roche....if it came over Roche's waist, it would have been over Poof's head! When we get to that trail we'll have to seriously study the weather map.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234