12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle

Re: Made a Geodome!

Just wait till your taking a nap in there and a kid falls on you. It looks great.

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    bad a**, that looks so cool! Did you construct it to stay where it is, or to break down and set up as a mobile unit?
    Love it!

Hammock
    My DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Insulation
    Thermarest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Doooood! Awesome build! Cant let my kids see that or they'll want one.
    Psalm 46:10

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images

Made a Geodome!

My wife says no because she fell off one when she was a kid. My kids would love it and I have room.
    Dammfast

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    This would be a great way to hang at the beach. I have always brainstormed of how to hang without my support shifting in the sand.

Prior to seeing this post, I have always envisioned burying buckets which hold upright poles into the sand, but have always worried about shifting. This would solve my problems and provide valuable sun shade.

Cuban would be overkill, as this is a weighty build, and cuban is for those concerned about weight.

I am struggling on how I would cover this, as there are many different options. An option where you can remove a panel or two at a time would be optimal, to get a breeze or create a window with mesh etc etc.

I can definitely see Boy Scouts camping with something like this. I agree with a replier, that you could easily fit 4 or 5 hangs inside!

This might be the first structure that I build on my mountain land. While this is a semi-permanent structure, it can be packed in, and would have little lasting impact on the environment. After I leave, I would remove the outer covering and I would imagine that the ground would recover quickly (unlike if another shelter was constructed).

Could this be the base of a temporary log cabin? I am unsure how you could finish the top third of the dome, but the bottom 2/3rds could easily be strapped onto the conduit. Make up some mud/adobe/spackle for the cracks and I think you could have a sturdy structure.

As for the roof, a tarp would be easy enough. For a long term solution, I would want a less noisy solution. A simple A-Frame structure would work. This would also give you some ventilation through the front and back of the A-Frame. There is also the possibility of being able to rotate the roof, to maximize air ventilation on nice days, or to minimize it on cold or rainy days.

Has anyone looked into straw bale buildings? Could this be a perfect inner structure
    for one of these buildings? Straw stacked up on the outside with an adobe weather barrier. You would have to make certain to have a good roof to keep the straw draw. Covering the inner face of the straw bales with the adobe mixture would be more difficult around the conduit, but not impossible.

Thank YOU VERY Much for this great post OP.
    Sorry for the elaborate brainstorm, but you have awakened
    something in me with this post. I see the immense possibilities,
    and do not know why I have not considered a geo-dome before.

How much do you approximate the entire set of conduit to weigh? about 75 pounds?

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great idea! Where are you going to be camping at Burning Man?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    winter beast sys.
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Someone mentioned using this in the scouts. Here's a link to an extensive thread on just that. There's also some youtube footage of the breakdown of the dome.... here you go

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=geodesic+dome

Mick
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/micklynx/

“You cannot depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus”

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Did you make this for hammocks or do you have something else in mind?

To anyone wanting to build one, this might be an interesting read.
    http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/7874
    For hammocks definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle the Camper View Post
    bad a**, that looks so cool! Did you construct it to stay where it is, or to break down and set up as a mobile unit?
    Love it!
    Mobile. I'm bringing it to the Electric Forest Festival this weekend. And whatever other festivals I go to. Shelter + Art eh?

There are 2 sizes of pole, one is 4.7 ft and one is 5.3 feet(they are arranged in a pattern). Just the right size to fit in my Subaru Outback with the back seats folded down.

I've got some LED lights rigged up to batteries, I'm calling it the Party Dome. I've only set it up once so far, and that took about 45 minutes with one other helping me. We had to stop & dremel the hole a little bigger for a lot of the bars. Now that they are set, and I know the pattern, I bet I can put it up in 20 minutes with one other person.
    Last edited by rledge21; 06-26-2013 at 16:42. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by sail1987 View Post
    I am struggling on how I would cover this, as there are many different options. An option where you can remove a panel or two at a time would be optimal, to get a breeze or create a window with mesh etc etc.
    A lot of people waterproof a parachute and use that, will probably look into something like that soon. I've seen them rig twine so that they can partially pull the parachute up to leave it open when they want.

This would be a great way to hang at the beach. I have always brainstormed of how to hang without my support shifting in the sand.
    I've read that the wind can apply a lot of force on the dome when covered(especially parachutes). I made some stakes by bending some 4ft long pieces of rebar into candy cane shapes.

I can definitely see Boy Scouts camping with something like this. I agree with a replier, that you could easily fit 4 or 5 hangs inside!
    Yeah I'd be able to hang 4 comfortably, and 5 squished together I think. I will find out this weekend @ Electric Forest.

Has anyone looked into straw bale buildings? Could this be a perfect inner structure
    for one of these buildings?
    Yeah I bet it would work great for this. You could build a 16ft high, 32ft radius dome for about $400-$450.

Thank YOU VERY Much for this great post OP.

How much do you approximate the entire set of conduit to weigh? about 75 pounds?
    Glad you enjoyed

Havent weighed it yet. I bundled the poles all together and could just barely lift it. I tried to put it in the back of my car and ended up smashing my thumb & scraping my arm a little. Looking on the internet, each 10ft section weighs about 4.5 lbs. I used 35 of them total, so it comes out to about 150 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernExposure View Post
    Great idea! Where are you going to be camping at Burning Man?
    Not sure if I'm going to Burning Man...I'd like to but its quite a drive for me. Definitely bringing it to lots of other festivals!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast